Scene 3: Thursday, 7.35 AM

INT: CORRIDOR, L1, KMS

(SG MURTHY enters the first floor. SANJAY stands on the other end, still before the restroom doors.)

RECORDED VOICE: (off) ದಯವಿಟ್ಟು ಗಮನಿಸಿ. ಇಂದಿರಾನಗರ ಕಡೆಗೆ ಹೋಗುವ ರೈಲು ಎಂಟು ನಿಮಿಷಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಒಂದನೇ ನಂಬರ್ ಪ್ಲಾಟ್‌ಫಾರ್ಮ್‌ಗೆ ಆಗಮಿಸಲಿದೆ. ಕಾಯುತ್ತಿರುವಾಗ ದಯವಿಟ್ಟು ಹಳದಿ ರೇಖೆಯ ಹಿಂದೆ ನಿಂತುಕೊಳ್ಳಿ. (beat) Attention please. The train to INDIRANAGAR will arrive at Platform Number 1 in 8 minutes. Please stand behind the yellow line while waiting.

APPROACHING MARCHING BOOTS.

SG MURTHY: That coach was reserved for a bloody reason. Stupid men shouldn't use the spaces reserved for the female commuters' safety, even naive-looking college boys. (beat) Rules are not meant to be broken!

SHE HALTS.

But how did the CCTV not catch that moment? And why don't I remember taking any action when I saw the boy board the coach? (beat)(close) Wait... isn't that the boy from the footage?

SANJAY: What's taking her so long? (beat) Why am I even waiting for her?

SG MURTHY: (close) Stay calm, Sarala. Don't jump. Catch him when he does it again.

SHE MARCHES TOWARD SANJAY. 

(calls) Excuse me, sir?

SANJAY: Um (close) She's the guard who- (clears throat) Y-yes.

SG MURTHY: Sir, are you facing any problems? Lost or-

SANJAY: N-no, no problem. Just... wanted to check the restroom.

LOW SOUND OF RUNNING WATER FOR 2 SECS. FOLLOWED BY A BANG AS THE DOOR OPENS.

NIDHI: Argh, that stinks. Why can't these people keep room fresheners? I almost puked there. (beat) So, did you finally go in?

SG MURTHY: Ma'am, you know this person?

NIDHI: Yes. He's my bestie.

SG MURTHY: Hm, okay. And sir, don't stand there. You're blocking the path to the women's restroom.

SANJAY: Y-y-yes, ma'am.

AN INDECIPHERABLE CRACKLE CUTS IN. SG MURTHY CLICKS HER TRANSMITTER.

SG MURTHY: Yes, sir. Coming sir.

A PAUSE. THEN SG MURTHY WALKS AWAY.

NIDHI: Why are you so wide-eyed? And close your mouth, will you? Your breath already stinks of that dumproom.

SANJAY: She saw you.

NIDHI: Huh?

SANJAY: The guard fricking saw you. (beat) I thought you were just a hallucination.

NIDHI: (scoffs) So now you believe me?

SANJAY: Of course I still don't. Not after what happened this past month.

NIDHI: (offended and guilty) Ya, don't say like that.

SANJAY STORMS OFF. 

Sanju! Where are you going?