Scene 11: Two Weeks Later | Tuesday, 12.32 PM

INT: PLATFORM 1, L2, KMS

SFX: LOADS OF CHIT-CHATS.

(SG MURTHY is on duty.)

SG MURTHY: (grumbles) To renew your pass, you either pay online through our website, or head downstairs and pay the amount. (beat) Yes sir, those stairs will lead you to it.

THE METRO ARRIVES (TIME SKIP)

SG MURTHY: (cheery) Yes, the first coach is reserved for women of all ages. Yes, your kids can come along, ma'am. Please, head this way.

ECHOING FOOTSTEPS (ANOTHER TIME SKIP)

SG MURTHY: Sir, you must stand behind the yellow line. (beat) Of course it's for your benefit. You won't fall off the platform.

(TIME SKIP) ANOTHER TRAIN ARRIVES. A 10-BEAT BEEP AS THE DOORS OPEN.

SG MURTHY: All the best for the exam! Don't worry ma'am, they won't ask much during the practicals.

A 10-BEAT BEEP AS THE DOORS CLOSE. THE TRAIN DEPARTS.

RECORDED VOICE: ಕೆಂಗೇರಿ ಕಡೆಗೆ ಹೋಗುವ ರೈಲು ಎಂಟು ನಿಮಿಷಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಎರಡು ನಂಬರ್ ಪ್ಲಾಟ್‌ಫಾರ್ಮ್‌ಗೆ ಆಗಮಿಸಲಿದೆ. (beat) The train to Kengeri will arrive at Platform Number 2 in eight minutes.

SG MURTHY: Sir, you can't go in. You have to renew your token. (beat) What, you've been sitting here for an hour. The token's valid for only half an hour. (sighs) ಸರ್, ಟೋಕನ್ ಕೇವಲ ಅರ್ಧ ಘಂಟೆಯವರೆಗೆ ಮಾನ್ಯವಾಗಿರುತ್ತದೆ.ನೀವು ಹೊಸದನ್ನು ಖರೀದಿಸಬೇಕು.

THE CHIT-CHATS REDUCE TO A SOFT MURMUR. SILENCE FOLLOWS.

SG MURTHY: He won't understand the instructions or what? So many boards are put up here. And who doesn't know the helpdesk is downstairs?

SHE SITS ON THE BENCH. PAUSE.

(sighs) It's not my fault. I did do my job. How am I supposed to know he's trans? (beat) And it's been two weeks since they last came here. I wonder if they caught... argh, what am I doing?

ASST. THAPPAR: (off) Sarala?

SG MURTHY: Rajesh?

SHE GETS UP.

What happened?

FAST APPROACHING FOOTSTEPS

What's wrong?

ASST. THAPPAR: (panting) Nothing.

HE SITS ON THE BENCH.

I found out who the boy is.

SG MURTHY: What?

SHE RESUMES HER PLACE (THE ADJACENT BENCH).

Rajesh, you shouldn't have-

ASST. THAPPAR: You were right to suspect him. (beat) His friend was murdered.

SG MURTHY: Huh? (close) They must've caught the killer.

ASST. THAPPAR: The boy's name is Sanjay Prasanna. He's a second year at Christ.

SG MURTHY: Christ University? The one here?

ASST. THAPPAR: Yeah. His friend studied here too. (beat) Last month, she was found dead in the study hall. It was an OD.

SG MURTHY: Oh.