Scene 9: Flashback | Wednesday, 10.39 PM

INT: PLATFORM 1, L2, KMS

SFX: SQUEAKY FOOTSTEPS, AS IF THE SHOES ARE DRAGGED ACROSS THE FLOOR.

SANJAY: HOW ARE YOU EVEN PUSHING ME? And stop doing this!

NIDHI: (huffing) You and your lame excuses. How can't you get what you want?

SANJAY: You don't know what I want. And let go of me!

NIDHI: Of course I do. You wanted to travel once, alone obvi, in the Women's Coach.

THE DRAGGING STOPS.

SANJAY: That's not true. (beat) You've ripped off my bag handle?!

NIDHI: When will you stop lying to me? (beat) And it's high time you buy a new bag. How long you'll take this useless one?

SANJAY: It was the first gift you gave me.

NIDHI: What...this Iron Man backpack?

SANJAY: Fourth grade. You were my secret santa.

NIDHI: Huh? (beat) OMG...we weren't even friends at the time. And you've maintained the bag well for what, ten years?

SANJAY: (proud) Yeah.

NIDHI: Now throw this. Look at the straps. I'm surprised they haven't come off.

SANJAY: I'll keep it safe. I won't use it.

RECORDED VOICE: ದಯವಿಟ್ಟು ಗಮನಿಸಿ. ಬೈಯಪ್ಪನಹಳ್ಳಿ ಕಡೆಗೆ ಹೋಗುವ ಕೊನೆಯ ರೈಲು ಮೂರು ನಿಮಿಷಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಒಂದನೇ ನಂಬರ್ ಪ್ಲಾಟ್‌ಫಾರ್ಮ್‌ಗೆ ಆಗಮಿಸಲಿದೆ. (beat) Attention please. The last train to BAIYAPPANAHALLI will arrive at Platform Number 1 in three minutes.

NIDHI: Aren't you excited to go in? You've only seen it from afar. (beat) Sanju? (Two beats) San-ju? (beat) Ya, what are you looking at?

SANJAY: O-over t-there.

NIDHI: Wow. This is a million times worse than when you first saw me after my death. (beat) That purple shirt lady, over there, with the black cap? You're scared of her.

SG MURTHY: (distant) Sir, move to the side. You're standing in the wrong place.

SANJAY: S-she's telling me to move. I-I'll g-go-

NIDHI: Stop blabbering and stay right here. She won't do anything.

SANJAY: But she's right. This coach's reserved for women.

NIDHI: Excuse me? You're not a woman?

SANJAY: Shh. A-and it's not t-that.

NIDHI: Uh-huh? So, just because you look, talk and were raised as a boy, does that mean you are one?

SANJAY: That's not the-

NIDHI: Tell me, all the aches and pains you've been facing all this time, did you fake that?

SANJAY: N-no.

NIDHI: I'm standing here, not there.(beat) Now, the asthma attacks you would get every time you were placed in an all boys team, whether cricket or debate, did you pretend to have it?

SANJAY: No. What's your point-

NIDHI: And deep down inside, are you happy with the gender your parents see you as?

SANJAY: (beat) No.

NIDHI: (calm) Then who are you, Sanju?

SANJAY: I'm... I'm. (takes in a deep breath and exhales) I'm a woman.

NIDHI: So, are you allowed to travel in the women's coach?

SG MURTHY: (nearing) Sir, step away from the girl.

NIDHI: Answer me, Sanju.

SANJAY: Yes.

SQUEALING OF METRO RAIL AS IT ENTERS THE PLATFORM. WHIRRING OF ENGINES DECLINE AS THE TRAIN STOPS BEFORE THEM.

NIDHI: So, get in. I'll handle the guard.

SANJAY: But how?

RECORDED VOICE: ದಯವಿಟ್ಟು ಗಮನಿಸಿ. ಬೈಯಪ್ಪನಹಳ್ಳಿ ಕಡೆಗೆ ಹೋಗುವ ಕೊನೆಯ ರೈಲು ಒಂದು ನಂಬರ್ ಪ್ಲಾಟ್‌ಫಾರ್ಮ್‌ನಿಂದ ಹೊರಡಲಿದೆ. ರೈಲು ಹತ್ತುವಾಗ ಅಂತರದ ಬಗ್ಗೆ ಗಮನವಿರಲಿ.(beat) Attention please. The last train to BAIYAPPANAHALLI is going to depart from Platform Number 1. Please mind the gap while boarding.

SANJAY: Nidhi? (anxious) Nidhi? (beat) Nid-AH!

SG MURTHY: Ya! Stop screaming. This guard has some really sensitive ears. (beat) Well, don't just stand there with your jaw open. Get in!

SANJAY: A-ah. Y--y-yes.

SANJAY RUSHES TO THE COACH.

SG MURTHY: Safe travels, Ms. Prasanna!

SANJAY: Nidhi, how did you-

A 10-BEAT BEEP AS THE DOORS CLOSE. WHIRRING OF THE ENGINES AS THE TRAIN DEPARTS THE STATION. THE POSSESSED SG MURTHY PATS HER SHOULDER.

SG MURTHY: Well done, Nidhi Barbhuyan. Taken over your first person already. Now I'll go show off to Asha and Sumit that I can possess people too.

A BUZZ.

Woah, this is so cool. (clears throat) Yes sir. Right on it, sir!

SHE WHISTLES A TUNE AS SHE SKIPS AWAY.