Chapter 4

The sun's early morning rays were creeping across the roofs of the house. Tiny snakes of light slithered across the streets, lighting up the paths.

The residents of the village were extremely accommodating, giving the three cultivators whatever they asked for, from food and wine, to even willingly giving up their own houses for them to stay in. Wei Ying and the Zhao siblings, however, decided not to bother them too much and stayed at the inn, near the town leader's house.

Wei Ying sat at the table that was placed in the middle of his room, flicking through numerous maps that were sprawled in front of him. The sunlight gently kissed his skin, as if it was trying to heal him with its golden touch.

A knock came from his door.

"Come in," he called, not looking up from the maps.

Zhao Feng and Zhao Meili slid the doors open, bowing to Wei Ying as they entered.

"Good morning, Sect Leader."

"Ah- what did I tell you about bowing? And don't get me on these formalities. There's no need."

"We know, but if we're going to form a sect, then we need to make sure we properly show respect when in public." Zhao Meili put her hands on her hips, and sat opposite, looking at the maps as well. Zhao Feng closed the door and came to stand next to them, his sword folded in his arms.

Wei Ying just sighed. These two were just as strong-headed and stubborn as him. He was surprised they got along well.

Over the past two days, he had learned much about the two siblings. They were the children of a clan leader, not far from Yiling. They were also the descendants of one of his grandmaster's early disciples, the first to leave the Celestial Mountain, Yanling Daoren.

Wei Ying remembered hearing stories about a gifted cultivator, trained by the Immortal herself, who excelled in the cultivation world, and was looked up to by many. However, something switched in him overnight, and he turned against the world, killing others in just a blink of an eye. Yanling Daoren was said to be killed by a thousand cultivators.

Zhao Feng and Zhao Meili also shared that they had been told the stories, despite being his very blood and flesh. They felt there was something more to the story than what was being told, generation to generation, and it was being twisted each time.

"What's with the maps?" Zhao Feng asked, picking up one of the maps, turning it upside down, and then sideways.

"I asked the town leader for a few maps of the lands around here," Wei Ying said, gesturing to the maps that covered the surface, "But he gave all of the ones he had."

"What are we looking for exactly?" Zhao Meili asked.

"A place to base our new sect."

Immediately, the Zhao siblings dove into the pile of maps, diligently searching for the perfect location. They had something in mind, something as beautiful as Cloud Recesses, as practical as Lotus Pier, as mighty as Golden Carp Tower, and as ominous as the Unclean Realm, but also neatly tucked away from the chaos of the world.

Once their ancestry has been uncovered, they came to a came to a final decision to start a sect. It didn't matter if it was big or small, but they would uncover all the secrets of the dark, and maybe accept disciples. What they would teach, they hadn't figured it out yet, but they knew that once established, they would be respected and feared by everyone.

"What about there?" Zhao Feng pointed after a few minutes of silence, "It seems like there aren't many sects close-by. There's a village, forest, and even a lake surrounding it"