Chapter 5

Hundreds, no, thousands of cultivators stood before Nightless City in Qishan. They were all ready to lay their lives for the greater good. For justice. For peace. For revenge.

Wen Rouhan looked from the threshold of his palace that perched on top of the highest peak. An army of ants, he told himself. They couldn't do anything. He had something he was sure no one knew about.

Yin iron.

Created by Yanling Daoren, disciple of the immortal Baoshan Sanren, himself all those hundreds of years ago, and Wen Rouhan was lucky enough to have managed to get his hands on it.

Although he only possessed just a shard of the actual iron, it was more than enough for him. The yin iron carried immense power, and Wen Rouhan had convinced himself that he knew how to use it. He had spent years, if not decades, of his life, devoted to finding out how the yin iron worked, how to control its power, how to manipulate it, how to make himself invincible.

"It all ends tonight!" Lan Qiren shouted. "Today we will end the bloodshed and bring peace to this world."

A flash of purple whipped in the air. Bows were drawn. Swords were unsheathed. Archers took their aims. Swordsmen got ready to attack.

"We fight to avenge our fallen!"

Both sides charged at each other. The battle had began. The sound of iron striking iron resonated through the cold night air, and arrows rained from the starless sky.

As Jiang Cheng fought, purple streaks surrounded him, but despite everything going on around him, his eyes kept wandering as he looked for any sign of his brother. He knew that Wei Ying would definitely be here to get revenge for Lotus Pier if not for himself. He knew his brother would go extreme lengths to serve justice.

Though he did not spot his brother, he did see Lan Zhan close by.

"Hanguang-jun," he called out, "have you seen Wei Wuxain?"

Lan Zhan paused for a second, striking an approaching Wen with his sword. He knew that he hadn't seen Wei Ying with the YunmengJiang disciple when they had arrived. He quickly looked around, but he failed to find him.

"Wei Ying wasn't at Lotus Pier." Jiang Cheng whipped Zidian, knocking out a Wen. "I haven't seen him for a week." Another Wen ran to him, sword poised to attack. With one kick, the Wen was on the floor.

A week, Lan Zhan thought, did something happen to him?

"Where's Wei Wuxian?" Nie Mingjue demanded. "He said to attack early, and now he's not here. Was he just doing this to sacrifice us? Does he think of us as animals? Is he such a coward that he does not show his face during a war?"

Lan Zhan glared at him. No matter the status, no one had the right to say something like that.

"Sect Leader Nie. Please do not say that. I know my brother, he won't back down from a fight. He—"

"Look! He has something in his hand." A disciple of LanlingJin noticed the shard of yin iron in Wen Ruohan's hand. "That's probably why we can't beat them. Whatever that thing is, it's strengthening them."

Lan Qiren squinted and gasped. The cultivator was indeed right. There was a powerful artefact in Wen Rouhan's hand that should've been destroyed hundreds of years ago.

"Wen Rouhan!" He called, "Do you know who created that weapon you hold in your hand? Do you know how destructive it is? Yanling Daoren died after massacring thousands of innocent lives. His life isn't so different to yours. You are a tyrant, just like him. You don't deserve to live, just like him. And you will die, just like him." Lan Qiren had now challenged him.