Chapter 6

Yunmeng was bustling. People were going about their daily business, and disciples hurried around Lotus Pier with building materials stacked on their shoulders. Since the attack by the Wens, they had rebuilt much of Lotus Pier exactly how it was before, and there were only a few finishing touches left to do. Jiang Cheng took this opportunity to expand his sect's base, making the most of the space available. They increased the area of the training grounds, made more rooms for guests and their newer disciples, and enlarged the dock, making travelling easier.

"Take the planks over there," a senior disciple instructed a younger disciple, who swayed under the weight of the wood on his shoulders, staggering when he tried to move his feet. "They go over there, by the walls of the training ground," he said, addressing a group that cradled heavy rocks in their arms.

"Tch. Who does he think he is?" one of the younger disciples muttered under his breath, pushing the rock up closer to his chest with his knee, "He's just stood there idle while we do all the work."

His friend nodded his head and sighed, "I wish Wei-gongzi was here. At least he would make all this mundane work enjoyable."

A hand rested on each of their shoulders. The two jerked and dropped the heavy rocks onto their feet.

"Aiya! Careful!"

They could recognise that voice anywhere. Quickly, they turned around, ignoring the pain shooting up their legs and jumped onto Wei Ying, tackling him down to the ground in a hug, with wide grins on their face.

"Wah. You turned around so fast, I'm surprised you didn't snap your necks." Wei Ying laughed.

"Finally, you're back." One of them gushed. "It was so boring without you."

"No one to joke around with. No one to drink with. No one to go to Yunmeng's marketplace to talk to maidens with." The other one added.

Most, if not all, of the disciples of Yunmeng idolised Wei Ying, their role model. He was easily their favourite senior, by far, and they did nothing to hide it. They made sure everyone knew that there was absolutely nothing their Wei-gongzi couldn't do.

"So, how have you been?" Wei Ying asked them, as they got back to their feet. "I take it that you're doing well."

"Barely." They mumbled. "Eh? Why don't we catch up on drinks? Just like the old —"

"Master Wei." Zhao Feng bowed to him, interrupting their conversation. "Your presence is requested in the meeting rooms. Second Master Nie is here."

"Yes let's go, Zhao Zhanshin." Wei Ying turned to the two disciples, "It was nice talking to you two. Catching up over a few drinks doesn't sound bad."

They bowed to the two and walked away from them. The two boys glared holes into Zhao Feng's back. Ever since the two Zhao siblings joined YunmengJiang as guest disciples, they felt as though their Wei-gongzi was more close to the outsiders, than he was with them.

Wei Ying opened the door and stepped inside. Zhao Feng stood at the doorway, guarding it, ensuring nobody would eavesdrop on their conversation.

"Wei bro!" Nie Huaisang grabbed Wei Ying around his shoulders, pulling him into a tight hug, just like what they did when they spent the year studying at Cloud Recesses, Gusu.

"Nie bro!" Wei Ying just smiled, letting his old friend hug him, feeling his breath being forced out. He closed the door behind him and sat opposite Huaisang. "You finally came down to Yunemng, So, how is it? Have you been to the market?" He asked as he poured two cups of tea.

"Yunemng indeed lives up to its name and its tales." Nie Huaisang answered, fanning himself. "Though it is a little warmer than what I'm used to in Qinghe." He paused and got up to close the window. He lowered his voice. "I have not come here for simple trivial matters, Wei-gongzi. I've come to help you."