𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏 : 𝐓𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐢𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐅𝐫𝐨𝐠𝐬

˗ˏˋ꒰ 🧟 ꒱

˗ˏˋ꒰ 🧟 ꒱

The sun beat down on the campsite, casting a warm glow over the makeshift tents and worn-out supplies. Alex sat in the tent, taking advantage of the daylight to clean her pistol.

 The rhythmic swipes of the cleaning cloth were interrupted by the sound of the tent zipper being pulled aside.

"Mom?" Hannah's voice called into the tent. Alex looked up, her features softened by the sight of her daughter's face.

 "Yeah, baby," she replied, setting the pistol aside and gesturing for Hannah to join her.

Hannah crawled into the tent, the entrance flap falling back into place behind her. She settled beside her mother on the sleeping bag, her eyes gleaming with a mixture of curiosity and excitement. 

Her small fingers found the zipper, playing with it absentmindedly as she spoke.

"Can I go try to catch frogs with Carl and Shane?" Hannah asked, her gaze fixed on her mother's eyes.

Alex considered for a moment, glancing at the sunlight streaming into the tent. "Yeah, go ahead, sweetheart. Just stay near Shane and Carl," she said, a faint smile playing on her lips.

Hannah's face lit up, and she dropped the zipper with a soft clink. "Okay! Thanks, Mom," she exclaimed, bouncing up from the sleeping bag

Alex, fully aware of the potential dangers outside the relative safety of the camp, slipped her pistol into her jeans pocket. 

The morning sun cast a warm glow on the campsite as she stepped out of the tent, taking in the sight of everyone going about their business. 

With her hands in her pockets, she strolled over to the RV, where Dale sat perched on top.

"Morning, Alex," Dale greeted, his weathered face showing the lines of experience etched into his skin.

 Alex returned the smile, appreciating the familiar sense of camaraderie in the group.

"Morning, Dale," she replied, her eyes scanning the camp before being drawn to the distant sound of a car alarm. 

Concern flashed in her eyes as she turned to Dale. "Hey, Dale, can you see what that is?" one of the men in the camp asked, his voice carrying a hint of urgency.

Dale stood up from his perch, shading his eyes with his hand as he squinted towards the mountains. 

The rhythmic bleeping of the car alarm echoed through the air, creating an unsettling tension. Shane, sensing the potential threat, joined Alex near the RV.