i. Dear Diary

Hello diary,

What a predicament! A pickle, a crisis, a dilemma if you will. How does one get imprisoned for accidentally committing a serious crime? Ask Friday; she'll tell you that she had it happen to her today, but she isn't sure how!

How could they do this to my best friend? If social cues were physics, Friday would be me! That is to say that anybody who was involved in this conviction either could not read Friday's character accurately, or was put off by her when she no doubt insulted them. The latter isn't even her fault, she doesn't understand when she's being rude!! How unjust to convict a young girl whose simultaneous smartness and ignorance were obviously taken advantage of!!
The system is a joke!! If I were queen of the world, I would get rid of prison. The world would be so much better if I were in charge, but what a tiring job that would be!

Anyway, I would've put a stop to this if given the chance, but I was merely a fly on the wall in a room full of people who believe that children should be seen and not heard. SO EXHAUSTING.

Speaking of exhausting, who's going to be my guardian during my many important and necessary naps? Who will I count on to wake me up when something juicy was happening? Friday is an important part of my life, with her patience for me and our shared hate of physical activity. And I give her a stable companion, confidante, and friend (which she needs because her rude family don't even remember she exists and people think she's weird!!!) We had this Sherlock and Dr Watson thing going on, after her flying solo for her whole life. Look what happened when she had to go off on her own again: she crashed and burned and ended up in juvenile detention for like, a year!! Friday is totally going to explode into ashes now that she is even more alone and vulnerable. Without me, who will explain the complex niceties and pointless customs of our society? Nobody else will tell her in polite wording to shut up and stop being rude so she doesn't get pummeled. Most important of all that was listed above - I'll miss my bestest friend. After all; the best thing in life isn't an uninterrupted, days-long sleep (although that is pretty great), but a constant and caring friendship. One with a person that compliments your weirdness and respects you.

Though difficult, I know that Friday would want me to look at every possibility and outcome, including the positives. I know this because I know Friday so well (and she told me this the last time we spoke). So,

Good Things:
1. We will face situations on our own that we once would have faced together, which will make us braver?
2. When Friday gets released, she will be able to share interesting stories about juvie life I guess
3. Surely there are other things?!

No. This sucks!!! Especially for Friday. She probably only said what she said to make me feel better. How thoughtful of her. I've taught her so well, I'm tearing up. And falling asleep.

I can't handle any of these serious thoughts and emotions right now (ok Friday haha). Ever since Ian left for Italy and he and Friday basically broke up, I've been a bit of a mess. I want things to be normal. I'm gonna go have a nap.

Good bye diary,
love Melanie xo

______________________

💌 this chapter was inspired by
@Sheza_Than — Lost Letters