19

Lisa couldn't stop pacing in her room, her steps frantic, her thoughts even more so. Stephen had promised her a gift for her "birthday"—the one she'd fabricated in a desperate attempt to bring him closer. Now, that promise loomed large in her mind, sending excited chills down her spine every time she thought about it.

On the bed, Daniella lounged comfortably, legs crossed and a bowl of popcorn in hand. She'd long kicked off her socks, settling into the pillows with a mixture of amusement and concern for her friend. "I still can't believe you told him your birthday's next month when it's months away," she said between bites, shaking her head. "But hey, if it gets his attention, I guess it's working."

Lisa spun around again, her eyes flicking toward the window as if searching for answers in the night. "He's actually getting me something, Daniella!" Her voice trembled with a blend of disbelief and hope. "What do you think it could be?"

Daniella rolled her eyes, her lips tugging into a playful smirk. "Can you quit doing that?" she said, gesturing to Lisa's restless pacing. "You're wearing a groove into the floor."

"I can't help it!" Lisa shot back, her expression torn between excitement and the ache of uncertainty. She pressed a hand to her chest, trying to still the whirlwind of emotions that swirled inside her. "I just... I can't believe he's actually going to give me something. I don't know what it is, but I can't stop thinking about it."

Daniella shifted on the bed, adjusting the belt around her waist with a shrug. "You're his friend, Lisa. Friends give each other things."

Lisa, undeterred, bounded toward her with a burst of energy, popping some popcorn into her mouth. "What do you think it'll be? Maybe it'll come with a note?"

"Girl, stop dreaming," Daniella said with a teasing grin, stretching her legs out lazily.

"Is it a ring?" Lisa asked, biting her lip, eyes sparkling with anticipation. The moment she said it, Daniella burst into laughter, unable to hold it back. She collapsed onto the bed, popcorn still in her hand as she tried to catch her breath.

"A ring? Seriously?" Daniella's laughter filled the room, her cheeks flushed with amusement as she stuffed more popcorn into her mouth to stifle her giggles.

Lisa frowned, crossing her arms. "What's so funny?"

Daniella sat up, still grinning. "I'm sorry! But Lisa, Stephen's not giving you a ring. Not now. Maybe later, but not yet. Don't get your hopes up."

"I wish he would," Lisa said softly, her voice carrying a weight Daniella hadn't expected. "If he asked me to marry him now, I'd say yes. I want to spend the rest of my life with him. I want to have his children." Her words came from deep within her, from a place she rarely exposed, and it hung in the air like a confession.

Daniella's expression softened as she took Lisa's hands in hers. "I pray that happens for you, Lisa. I want you to have the man you desire. And if it happens, trust me, I'll be the happiest person there, watching you walk down that aisle. You, marrying the guy you've loved since we were teenagers, and me as your chief bridesmaid. It would feel so good." She smiled, her eyes bright with sincerity. "I can't wait. I haven't been to a wedding since my mom remarried."

"Thank you," Lisa grinned, her face softening into a dreamlike expression. But then, as if coming back to reality, she sighed. "We shouldn't get our hopes up too much, though. We might just end up disappointed."

"Yeah," Daniella agreed with a light laugh. "You were dreaming, so I joined in too."

Lisa smiled at her words, grateful for the moment of shared hope. "Enough about me. Let's talk about you."