You have a new message!!

The third lightning bolt struck, closer this time. It's starting to look like rain. She tightened her hood and lightly kicked the cardboard box by her feet. A little water won't damage what little she had left. The only solace in this situation is her phone, it still had some charge left. With a little ding it announced that time had taken her battery away.

"Wot...? it's 43% You okay phone?" Feeling a little crazy talking to herself, she unlocked it.

«You've been added to a grp by a number not in in your contacts. Click to view details»

"Cool cool, ignoring that... The storm showed up already? Better get inside." The few water droplets glowing on the screen proved her theory.

Pocketing the phone and picking up the box, she headed to the only place that accepts her at this point. The library. Pretending to read a book is no problem if she can escape getting drenched. What was a problem however was the constant buzzing. She hasn't gotten this many messages since Christmas when her mother said 'Hi', of course she didn't answer.

- : I believe that's everyone, Hello and welcome. I'll start by introducing myself, I'm W, and that's the only name I'll be answering to. _7:28pm

- : what the hell? _7:29pm

- : Hey how did you get this number?? _7:29pm

The group was unnamed and judging by the country codes, they're all from around here, all except the W guy. He might be American. She has thirty minutes to kill before she gets kick out of the library, might as well waste it here.

- : W dude, what is this? _7:30pm

- : I'm glad you ask Sierra, This is a rehab program. _7:30pm

- Sierra: Elaborate. _7:30pm

- : You'll have to add me to your contacts first. Fourteen of you haven't done so yet. _7:31pm

That was startling to say the least, they somehow have access to their phones, though it explains how they got her number. She thought for a minute before making her decision.

- W: This will have to do for now. _7:33pm

- W: Each year we select sixteen candidates selected based on... certain skills that have been observed. Those selected will have to go above and beyond to impress, only then can they proceed to the next phase. _7:35pm

- : Mr. W sir, you still haven't explained what exactly you're 'Rehab'-ing. _7:36pm

- W: Humans of course. Now... shall we begin? _7:36pm

No one answered for a while, she couldn't tell if it was wisdom, stupidity, or ignorance. Hell maybe they didn't even open the group chat yet. Of seventeen total participants, her messages were delivered to sixteen, and read by nine. Getting a headstart on the competition could prove useful, but diving in blindly could hurt her chances. She needs to carefully calculate each move because....

"Why the hell am I even considering thisss??" She shouted at herself, she has a way bigger problem to worry about at the moment.

"Shhhhhh" Some bookworm interrupted her thought process, pulling her back into reality.

"Who the hell does he think he is." She whispered and rolled her eyes. Then an idea flashed in those same eyes seconds later.

- Sierra: Before we start, you all know my name thanks to W... It's only fair I know yours. _7:45pm

Multiple started typing and stopping all at once. Hesitation palpable through her phone.

- : Uhhh hello? I'm kyle. I'm 16 and I love anything that has anything to do with computers. _7:47pm

- : You people can call me One, I prefer not to disclose personal information. _7:48pm

- : Hey kyle!!! I'm Stephanie, you can call me Steph tho! :D _7:48pm

- : wait we can do that? Call me 69 :P _7:49pm

- Stephanie: hey no fair!! _7:49pm

- Cannon fodder: mad i took the number first? _7:50pm

- One(threat?): I see this is a waste of my time. W, ping me when you start. _7:51pm

- : Matt. _7:51pm

- : I'm Nathaniel.  _7:51pm

- : Lucy here. _7:52pm

- : I don't see a point in all this, I'm with One here. I don't think we were gathered to make friends. But Sierra wasn't offered the choice so out of fairness, call me Vera _7:52pm

Waiting a few minutes, no one seemed to contribute with more names after that comment. However she managed to gather a lot from these interactions. What might not be relevant went into her notes and important details got added next to the contact name.

"Hey lady, we're closing soon... Could you pack it up?" An employee was standing over her, she hasn't even noticed his approach.

"Oh it's eight already?" She feigned ignorance.

"We close at eight, but you were supposed to be out by 7:50. So could you please...?" He was polite about it at least, unlike the last time she showed up here.

The heavy pouring greeted her with a freezing embrace, there was no time to miss the library heating though or address the new buzzing. She could feel eyes landing on her box and leaving is her top priority.

**

This one I'm not sure, but I actually think I got a message in a social gathering and decided to escape into a daydream.