Chapter 9 - Doubts And Expectations

"Oh, you were tremendous, Glamour." Keira elegantly spun Wanda around until she was in her arms.

Their cover was somehow, miraculously, intact. Even after spending the afternoon socializing with practically the entire town.

Everybody wanted to know how they had managed to pull off such an amazing magic act.

But just as they had told Geraldine, the secrets behind their performance would remain a secret.

Their clothes for the show hung over Keira's arm, Wanda's leotard was securely in place on a hanger and the somewhat too big magician's hat was still on top of the mutant's head.

Without letting her hands leave her wife, Keira pushed the door closed with her foot after kicking off her shoes. And she let the clothes for the magic show slide off her arm as well.

Wanda felt like she could happily drown in the pure adoration that glittered in Keira's eyes and she pressed a grateful kiss to her wife's cheek. "As were you, Illusion." She purred before carefully putting down the rabbit cage. Señor Scratchy had only made a brief appearance in the magic act before being rescued by Wanda –probably the best outcome for the bunny, in retrospect– but that hadn't stopped Agnes from fawning over him for hours.

Oh, why the rabbit had followed them home rather than his owner?

Keira had no idea. She had a brief memory of Agnes saying something about Scratchy needing some vacation, but to be honest, she hadn't really been listening. Her social battery had been running low by that point, and the desire to go home had overshadowed everything else.

"Oh, I don't know what I was so worried about." Wanda sighed happily and slipped her free hand into Keira's, intertwining their fingers. She rounded the sofa and put down the trophy on the living room table before sinking down on the sofa, pulling her wife down with her. "It wasn't so hard to fit in after all." With another sigh of relief, she crossed her legs, so that her knee touched her wife's.

Keira laced an arm around Wanda's shoulders and tugged her closer. "And to believe that all we had to do, was to be ourselves." It would've been interesting to see how their little magic act would've fared if she had managed to stay sober for the whole spectacle.

Yeah, she would have to thank Agnes for that little detail. Or not.

Wanda pursed her lips in thought. "Well, with a few modifications." They both knew what she meant by that. With a sly smile, Wanda allowed her fingers to caress the hat's brim. Her eyes stayed on the hat as well, or rather, the motion of her fingers.

All to deliberately avoid Keira's gaze.

Slowly, delicately, she allowed her fingertips to dance around the brim until she could practically feel the burn from her wife's eyes upon her.

And just before she thought the mutant would break, she pulled it down over her eyes.

"Hey, wha-" But Keira's loud complaint was swallowed by a swift kiss.

"And remember, it was all..." Wanda innocently began in a singsong voice as she pulled off the hat and threw it aside like a frisbee.

Once Keira's vision was unimpaired again, she couldn't help but playfully roll her eyes. "For the children, of course." She obediently repeated. Just like the audience before. "You know, Wanda... Isn't it a bit strange that no child-"

"Well, I think the children might need some popcorn."

They both spoke at the same time, but Keira was the one who quieted down first.

Wanda was already back on her feet before she realized. "Sorry, what was that, honey?" Instead of getting an answer, however, she was met by complete silence which in turn caused her to spin around to face her wife properly.