Chapter 3

"Do we have time to freshen up before dinner?" asks Wei Ying

Lan Zhan slightly smirks, "They will be happy to wait; I will walk you to your room and then take you and your son to the dining room." Wei Ying nods, and they leave the garden to return to the house. While Lan Zhan is laughing internally, he knows his Uncle will be livid because dinner will be delayed. He expects punctuality in everything.

Besides,  Uncle and brother leave in the morning, so he doesn't care if he's angered anyone. However,  he didn't expect his Uncle to express his displeasure towards their guest. Wei Ying apologized profusely until it began to annoy Lan Zhan. He knew it was his fault, so Wei Changze had nothing to apologize for.

Coldly, he looks at his Uncle, "Uncle, have you forgotten that Mr. Wei and his son just arrived from across the world to work for us? It will take time to adjust to the time change; I'm sure they are both still exhausted."

Embarrassed, Uncle Qiren makes no more comments after apologizing to Mr. Wei. With unshed tears, Wei Ying mouths "Thank You" while smiling shyly at Lan Zhan. Lan Xichen, meanwhile, is watching this exchange between his supposedly cold brother and the new house guest. He doesn't want to go on a business trip; he wants to see if his Didi will pursue the new guest.

After dinner, the Lan brothers discussed business with their new graphic designer while Uncle Qiren quietly listened. Little A-Yuan, bored, looked around and saw someone he could play with. He climbed down from his chair, unnoticed by his Baba, and walked to Uncle Qiren. A-Yuan tugged on the man's sleeve and raised his little arms to be picked up.  

Uncle QIren's eyes open widely, and he looks around and notices no one is paying attention to the toddler, so without too much thought, he reaches down and places the child in his lap. They stare at each other for what seems like long minutes. A-Yuan slowly reaches out his hand to touch the beard on his face.

A-Yuan giggles, "It tickles."  Uncle Qiren smiles, remembering a tiny Lan Zhan saying the same thing. Then he remembers something else Lan Zhan had done. So, looking very seriously at the toddler, and says, "It is okay to touch, but you must never, ever pull it. It will make me cry. You don't want to see me cry, do you?"

A-Yuan looks at the man and seems to consider his request. He then raises three tiny fingers, and with the brightest smile flashing across his small face, he says, "I prowmish I won't pull."  Satisfied with the child's answer, he feels somewhat safe, for now at least.

Wei Ying suddenly realizes his baby has been too quiet; anyone with a toddler knows that is never a good sign. He turns to check on his son, only to find his chair empty. Immediately, thoughts of his son in danger come to mind. In a panic, he voices, "Baby, A-Yuan, where are you?"   Wei Ying stands up from his seat, as do the Lan brothers. The room is suddenly filled with the tinkling of tiny laughter as well as the fierce, rarely-used laughter of Uncle Qiren.

Wei Ying lost all color on his face when he saw who was holding his son, and the Lan brothers were in shock. Other than them, they had never seen their Uncle talking or playing with small children. Uncle Qiren, feeling eyes on him, stared back while holding the child. 

Wei Ying starts to walk to gather his son, but Lan Qiren shakes his head. "Please allow me more time with your son. He reminds me of those two rascals, especially Wangji when they were his age."

Wei Ying is still scared and stutters." A -Are you, um, sure? He's n-not bothering you?"  He's worried about becoming close with the Lans; what if he has to leave suddenly? He doesn't want them to hate him because he uses them as a refuge.