Chapter 5

It's evening at the Lan Mansion. A-Yuan sits on the bed, watching his Baba mutter to himself and throw his clothes everywhere.

"Oh my God, what am I even doing? It's only dinner, not a date. I won't go." he thinks as he slumps on the floor amidst the chaos he has created with his strewn clothes.

Silently, A-Yuan slid off the bed and crawled to his Baba's lap. "Baba?"

"Hmm," says Wei Ying, while hugging his toddler tightly.

A-Yuan places his chubby hands on Baba's cheeks and kisses him, leaving Wei Ying's cheek wet with his saliva. Wei Ying inhales the lavender scent coming from his precious baby. Slowly, his racing heart calms down, and he softly chuckles, "Thank you, baby."

A-Yuan gives him a million-dollar smile and giggles. Wei Ying giggles back and kisses A-Yuan, feeling much better. Suddenly, there is a knock on their door. Wei Ying freezes, and before he can stop A-Yuan, he scrambles off his lap, rushes towards the door, and swings it wide open.

Lan Zhan, standing at the doorway, raises one slim eyebrow. He tries hard not to laugh at the scene in front of him. The beautiful man who has stolen his heart is sitting on the floor, surrounded by clothes. His cheeks are a dusty rose, and his eyes refuse to look at him.

Wei Ying sees a hand in front of his face. "Come, dinner is waiting. You can deal with this later," Lan Zhan says in a husky voice.

Wei Ying shivers at the sound of his voice. He is getting thoughts in his brain he shouldn't. He's having trouble breathing, and getting himself under control is no small feat. A-Yuan quietly hugs Lan Zhan's leg and says, "Pick me up. rich gege."

Lan Zhan swoops A-Yuan into his arms, reaching for Wei Changze again. This time, Wei Ying takes his hand but still refuses to look at him. He tries to appear calm even though his heart is hammering in his chest.

After dinner, Wei Ying and Lan Zhan watch as A-Yuan plays with the bunnies. Lan Zhan watches as a gentle smile crosses Wei Changze's face. He is again amazed at the beauty of this man beside him. Lan Zhan clears his throat to get his attention.

"I would like to move you to my wing of the mansion. You would be alone on your side since Uncle and brother are now gone. I would feel better knowing you are not alone in that portion of the house."

Wei Ying looks a little bit hesitant and more than a little shocked. 

Lan Zhan continues, " Plus, it would make more work for the staff to clean opposite sides of the mansion for two people."

Wei Ying thinks, "That does make sense," but secretly wonders if Lan Zhan has ulterior motives. "Please, not again."

"The room next to mine also has a joined bedroom for your nanny once she arrives. Your room will have a sitting room that can double as a play area for A-Yuan. Plus, you can lock the room from the inside. Did I leave anything out?"

Wei Ying laughs, "Well. I guess you thought of everything; how can I refuse?"

Lan Zhan smiles softly, "That's Good. Then it settled. You can move in tomorrow. If anything else is troubling you, please allow me to help."

"What about work? Can I genuinely work from here?"

"If you feel strongly about it, review the work already in progress, and we can discuss it in the evenings when I return home. Of course, you can also call me with any questions. For now, though, don't worry about work. Catch up on your rest and spend time with your son."

"Lan Zhan," whines Wei Ying. "You're making it very hard to want to look for a place of my own if you continue to treat me so special here."

Lan Zhan dares not look at Wei Changze for fear that he will see the truth of his statement in his eyes.

It's been two weeks, and a kind of routine has begun. A-Yuan won't fall asleep until Wei Ying and Lan Zhan read him a story and tuck him in bed for the evening.

Then, afterward, the two would relax in the living room and talk. Lan Zhan would discuss Wei Changze's work, and Wei Ying would tell Lan Zhan all the silly things his child had said and done. They both cherished this time together, and Lan Zhan would take no phone calls, devoting his full attention to Wei Changze.

While talking, Wei Ying's phone started to ring. He slowly reaches into his pant pocket. "Oh no," it's the burner phone ringing. His first thought was, "Oh my God, he's found me."   Wei Ying stares hard at the phone, unable to answer it. Lan Zhan takes the phone gently away from Wei Changze's fingers and answers the call.

It's a call from China, and it's the nanny's family.

On the way home from the market with her sister, Lan Zhan was told that she was kidnapped and later found dead. She was strangled to death. Lan Zhan looks over to the shaking man beside him and holds him while telling the caller he will be in touch.

He brushes aside Wei Changze's hair from his face and grabs his cold, cold hands.  

Wei Ying looks up into Lan Zhan's face and, with trembling lips, says, "Lan Zhan?"

Lan Zhan pulls him into his embrace and gently tells Wei Changze about his nanny. "I'm very sorry, Wei Changze; your nanny was kidnapped today. She was later found in an alley, beaten and strangled to death. There are no witnesses at this time.

Wei Ying mouths a silent scream and then faints in Lan Zhan's arms. Lan Zhan picks him up and carries him to his bedroom; he doesn't want to wake the toddler unnecessarily. He then makes two phone calls, one to his family physician and the other to Jonathan, the head of his security team.

Just this week, Jonathan informed him that Wen Xu had been searching all over China for something or someone, coinciding with the date Wei Changze left China for the United States.

Wen Xu?, Does Wei Changze know Wen Xu? Is he a former employee of the Wen's or an ex-lover of Wen Xu? He would never believe that Wei Changze would choose him for a lover. He is a man known for his violent tendencies and total disregard for others. 

He knows it will be challenging, but he firmly believes that Wei Changze is the key to all the answers he needs. So, he asks Jonathan to investigate Wei Changze's and Wen Xu's backgrounds. The goal is to keep Wei Changze and his son safe. Nothing else matters right now.