Chapter Sixteen: Albert Runcorn's Truth

(This chapter has some upsetting topics, so read only if you are comfortable.)

Late in the afternoon, a few days after New Year, Harry, Theodore, Canini, along with Remus had travelled back to the Burrow, where along with the Weasley children, were lined up beside the kitchen fire to return to Hogwarts. The Ministry had arranged this one-off connection to the Floo Network to return students quickly and safely to the school, and the Fidelius Charm made floo travel to and from the cottage impossible so they had to use a different fireplace. Only Mrs Weasley and Remus were there to say good-bye, as Mr Weasley, Fred, George, Bill, and Fleur were all at work. Mrs Weasley dissolved into tears at the moment of parting.

Ginny quietly admittedly that it took very little to set her off lately; that she had been crying on and off over the holidays. Being the Christmas season did not stop the constant deaths and disappearances.

'Don't cry, Mum,' said Ginny, patting her on the back as Mrs Weasley sobbed into her shoulder. 'It's okay...'

'Yeah, don't worry about us,' said Ron, permitting his mother to plant a very wet kiss on his cheek, 'we'll keep each other safe. We always do.'

Mrs Weasley sobbed harder than ever as she pulled her two youngest children into a hug. Next to all this, Remus was trying to say his own goodbyes.

'I want all three of you to remain vigilant. What happened to Katie Bell still troubles me, and I don't want something similar happening to any of you,' said Remus sternly, his face then softened. 'However, I believe even in times of peril, a wise shaggy dog would say to still have fun where you can. You're all still in school, so you should try and enjoy it like you normally would.'

'We will do our best,' said Theodore to both of Remus' requests.

'I know you will,' said Remus, who then pulled all of them into a hug. 'I will miss you all dearly this winter. I will try to return to the cottage for Eastern, but if that isn't possible the Tonks' or the Weasley's will gladly have you. Now, off you all go.'

The Weasley's had already gone through the fire, so now it was Harry's turn. He stepped into the emerald fire and shouted 'Hogwarts!' He had one last fleeting view of the Weasleys' kitchen and Remus' sad smile before the flames engulfed him; spinning very fast, he caught blurred glimpses of other Wizarding rooms, which were whipped out of sight before he could get a proper look; then he was slowing down, finally stopping squarely in the fireplace in Professor McGonagall's office. She barely glanced up from her work as he clambered out over the grate.

'Evening, Potter. Try not to get too much ash on the carpet.'

'No, Professor.'

Harry straightened his glasses and flattened his hair as Theodore came

spinning into view. When Canini had arrived, all three of them trooped out of McGonagall's office and off toward the Entrance Hall. Harry glanced out of the corridor windows as they passed; the sun was already sinking over grounds carpeted in deeper snow than had lain over Stow-On-The-Wolf. In the distance, he could see Hagrid feeding Buckbeak in front of his cabin.

'I'll see you guys later,' said Canini, as they split up to go to their respective houses.

They waved goodbye and then Harry and Theodore descended the stone steps, feeling colder and colder as they continued down the depths of the castle.

'I think Moony and uncle Ted's presences are going to come in handy,' admitted Harry with a chill.

As they reached the enchanted wall they both came to the realization that neither of them knew the new password that would make the wall intangible.