Chapter 21: New Recruits Pt. 2

(Next day)

I was woken up the next morning by someone banging on the bars of my cell. After rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I sat up to see who it was that had roused me from my slumber.

Oluo: Captain wants to see you before the recruits get here.

Y/n: Tell him I'll be right there.

Oluo: Nice try. He told me to take you to him.

I sighed and got up from the bed. I had slept in my shirt and pants that night, so all I needed to put on were my boots and jacket. Once I did that I used the sink to wet my hair before combing it back. After I was done, Oluo unlocked the cell. We walked outside together, not a word being shared. Feeling the morning air after being locked in a cell all night was refreshing. I took a deep breath, savoring the moment.

Levi: Good, you're up.

Y/n: What's on the agenda for today?

Levi: You're cleaning the stables today.

Y/n: Oh boy.

Levi: And Oluo, you're helping.

I snickered as Oluo's once smug grin turned to an expression of shock, annoyance, and finally acceptance. He was clearly expecting the Captain to assign me the work and order him to watch me, thus giving Oluo a chance to slack off.

Oluo: Let's go.

Y/n: Right behind you.

We headed to the stables. There were already a lot of horses there, which meant we likely had a lot of dirty hay, horse shit, and other things to clean. It was going to be a very dirty and smelly job.

Y/n: Where to begin...

Oluo: Dont know, don't care. Pick a spot and get to work.

Y/n: Okay, what the hell is wrong with you?

Oluo: What's wrong with me is that I shouldn't have to do this when you can.

Y/n: Remember that Captain Levi ordered us both to do it and two, you don't get to slack off. Yes, it's a less-than-desirable task, but you don't see me bitching about it do you?

Oluo(angry): Just get to work.

Y/n: Consider my point proven.

I walked to the far side of the stable. I saw a broom and dustpan leaning against the corner wall, so I grabbed them. There was a waste bin just outside the door next to me and upon further inspection, it was empty. The first thing I did was shovel all of the horse waste into the bin outside. Next, I swept all of the hay out of the stall. There was quite a lot of it so I spent the next several minutes sweeping. Once I was done, I refilled the trough with fresh water. Following that, I laid down some fresh hay and made sure everything was spic and span before moving on to the next one.

Levi: How's it going?

Y/n: Great so far. I just finished the first stall. You can check if you want to see if I missed anything.

I continued to work as the Captain peered inside the stall I just cleaned. He muttered to himself while inspecting every single area.

Levi: You did exceptionally well. I'm surprised by your efficiency.

Y/n: Well, I wouldn't want to stay in a pile of filth and I don't imagine our horses do either.

Levi: Keep up the good work.