Chapter 21: A Trusting Blue

"Your voice is my favorite sound, your name is my favorite noun." ~ Unknown

I have always been one to give second chances. If someone messes up and says sorry a week later, I would forgive them. But if someone messed up and said sorry fourteen years later, that's different. My mom, well Rosie, had fourteen years to come back. She never did, until now. When she knew I was being abused and starved, she felt bad. But, I bet if she thought I was healthy she wouldn't be here.

I never thought I would look into the same green eyes that were identical to mine. I've only seen it in the mirror, not on another person. That's how I knew this was my mom, the emerald green eyes. I wasn't ready to face her, I didn't want to face her. She had her brown hair in a messy bun, she was wearing jeans and a Holister hoodie...nice to know she got dressed up.

Hint the sarcasm.

"Avery, I'm your mother."

No dip, Sherlock.

"Hi, Rosie." I said in a flat tone.

What? I know i'm being mean, but she abandoned me. When she should've been there for me, she wasn't. I didn't know what a damn bra was until Aunt Marie saved me. I won't call her my mom, because she isn't. I don't have a mom, and I don't need one.

Her face fell a little when I called her by her name, but was she really expecting me to say, 'Oh, Hello my beautiful mother!'

Reece squeezed my hand, trying to reassure me. It worked a little bit, but not enough.

Aunt Marie finally stood up and hugged me, which I gladly accepted.

"Why is she here?" I whispered to her.

"She wants to meet you, Avery." was her answer.

"Who's this?" Aunt Marie asked, looking at Reece.

I looked at Reece, "Oh, uh He's my uh-"

"Her boyfriend." Reece finished for me, shaking Aunt Marie's hand.

Her boyfriend, my boyfriend.

"Nice to meet you." she said with a smile.

Reece also shook Rosie's hand, she had a small smile on her face. She must know that I don't like her.

Good.

We all sat at the booth, me and Reece on one side and Aunt Marie and Rosie on the other. Rosie started to play with her hands, something I do when I'm nervous. I guess she is my mother.

"So, how long have you guys been together?" Aunt Marie asked, trying to break through the awkwardness.

"A day, ma'am." Reece admits.

"But, we've been good friends since camp started." I add.

She nods.

"Avery, you've become a really beautiful woman." Rosie compliments.

"Thank you." I said.

What am I suppose to say to her?

My heart says yes, my brain says no. Don't get your hopes up, Avery.

"Can I talk to you outside?" she ask.

I shrug, "Sure."

We went out side and didn't say one word to each other while taking a seat on a wooden bench. I started to play with my hands, and she chuckled. Probably because she knew I got her habit.

"I'm sorry." She blurted.

I looked up at her, "I know."

"I didn't know, I was young and stupid. I regret leaving you everyday." Rosie confesses.