Chapter Two

Ella walks over to the vampire girls.

"Hey! I'm Ella! I'm new here, and was wondering if you wanted to be friends!" She exclaims.

"Oh wow! Look at this girl! Are you a vampire too?" A very enthusiastic vampire girl exclaims.

"Uh...no, I'm not." Ella replies.

"Really? But you're so pale!" The enthusiastic vampire girl exclaims.

"Why does everyone keep saying that?" Ella mutters to herself.

"Because you are! By the way, I'm Leah!" Leah exclaims.

"Gah! How can you hear what I'm saying?" Ella exclaims.

"We're vampires. We have super hearing! Duh! Don't you know anything about vampires?" Leah asks.

"No. I didn't even know they existed." Ella replies.

"That's crazy. How can you be living in Halloween Town and never seen a vampire before?" Another vampire girl named Laura asks.

"Uh...actually..." Ella says.

"You do live here, don't you?" Laura asks.

"Okay, Ella, we have to go to class now." Jakob grabs Ella's hand.

"Sorry, guys. Gotta go." Ella says to the vampire girls.

"Girls, I don't think she belongs here. She's not a vampire, zombie, skeleton, or any monster." Laura says.

"We should figure out what she is, and expose her!" Another vampire girl named Allie exclaims.

"I don't know, guys. That's not very nice. Maybe we should leave her alone." Leah says.

"No, Leah. She doesn't belong here. We need to expose her and maybe ridicule her." Laura says.

"But--" Leah starts.

"She doesn't belong here, Leah! So suck up that 'poor girl' act, and help us expose her!" Allie exclaims.

"O...okay..." Leah looks down.

In the hallway, Ella and Jakob are talking.

"Why did you do that!?" Ella exclaims.

"Because you almost told them that you're a human!" Jakob says.

"So?" Ella asks.

"So they'll kill you! People here don't trust humans!" Jakob says.

"Oh. But that girl Leah seems nice." Ella says.

"Yes, she does. Wait, that's not the point. Look, you're my best friend, and I don't want you to get hurt, so please steer clear of them." Jakob says.

"I'm your best friend? You never had friends before?" Ella asks.

"No, but that's not the point. Please, just be careful, okay?" Jakob says. "And why is your pocket buzzing?"

"Huh?" Ella reaches into her pocket and pulls out her phone. "Oh, it's my boyfriend, Adam."

"B-boyfriend?" Jakob asks. She has a boyfriend? Agh, great!

"Oh, crap. He's asking why I'm not at school. What should I say?" Ella asks.

"That you're sick?" Jakob suggests.

"Great idea." Ella texts back to Adam that she's sick. "Crap, he's asking what I have. What should I say?"

"That you have a small cold?" Jakob asks.

"Great idea." Ella texts that she has a small cold. "Great, he bought it. Thanks, Jakob. You're a good friend." Ella hugs Jakob.