Gray hairs

12th November, India vs Netherlands

"Kohli ko ball do!"

"Kohli ko ball do!"

"Kohli ko ball do!"

_________________

When Siraj was carried off the field after a minor concussion over a missed catch, Virat fell in step with Rohit.

"He will be fine," said Virat bracingly. "He will be back in a couple of overs, I know."

"Hope so..." said an unsuspecting Rohit.

"But I think we shouldn't bring him back into the attack anytime soon--"

"Yeah."

"And if possible, keep him from bowling altogether today," suggested Virat.

"We're playing with five bowlers," said Rohit. "But yep, I don't think they'll last more than 40 anyway."

"I think they will," said Virat. "They will."

Rohit looked at him, beginning to get suspicious. "What are you getting at?"

"I would really like the ball, Rohit." Virat held out a hand.

"Kohli ko ball do!"

"Kohli ko ball do!"

"Ok," said Rohit. "No. I am not giving you the ball."

"You have to," wheedled Virat. "It's my duty to look out for Siraj and I will not have you overworking him."

"I'm not overworking him--!"

"You always overwork our pacers because you won't give me the ball," said Virat.

"Oh yes, you do, Rohit bhaiya," put in Jassi. "I think you should give him the ball."

Virat, oblivious to the sarcasm, beamed at Jassi. Rohit rolled his eyes, sniffed and dropped the ball in Virat's still-outstretched palm.

"Do whatever you want."

__________________

When Virat took his 5th international ODI wicket, and Rahul shrieked and jumped and lost his head more than anyone had ever seen him, everyone in the team huddle was doubled up with laughter, Virat and Jassi most of all. Rahul was still half-hysterical at having taken the catch. Rohit was also laughing--peacefully--when he was tapped on the shoulder.

"Rohit bhaiya?"

It was Shubman's ultra-innocent voice, of which Rohit had just started to get suspicious of. But it was so innocent, he could never actually deem it suspicious.

"Yes?" said Rohit warily.

"Can I bowl an over, please?"

Rohit needed half a minute to process the request.

"Go back to your fielding position, Shubi," said Rohit.

"But Rohit bhaiya, I want to help by bowling just one over."

"See, Shubi," he said, trying to be patient. "Siraj is back and he can bowl. There's no need for anyone else to bowl, you see?"

"But I have been practicing so hard," said Shubman, wounded. "I wanted to try my skills in the real world."

Rohit was searching for a response to that when Shubman and Virat exchanged a look he did not like.

"And--and since we'll play the semi final with just five bowlers, I think your other options should have some match time!" said Shubman in one breath.