CHAPTER 3 - Dwarf Mine Incident

She didn't know where she went off to, as her only conscious thought was to leave Night Raven College by whatever means possible. Teary-eyed, Mary went inside a room with a door left ajar and saw a glowing portal inside. Quickly jumping to the conclusion it was meant as an exit or way out of the campus, the redhead didn't hesitate twice stepping into the portal and finding herself in unfamiliar woods.

"...Where am I?" The girl stood there like a lost lamb, from behind the portal was gone and had been completely surrounded by looming trees, rocks, and shrubs. On the ground without her noticing were splotches of black, some could also be seen splattered on tree trunks but Mary was too busy devoured by her anxiety to see these details.

Wasn't there anybody who could–

Mary screamed and barely evaded a sharp blade as it made contact with the ground. The sharp object was attached to a silver-white weapon with beautiful well-intricate details. She found herself staring up at a pair of dual-colored eyes.

"Search and eradication quest ends here now" The white-haired girl with unique eyes spoke in a soft yet at the same time, cold manner. Raising her scythe weapon in mid-air, she was ready to give it another swing.

"No! Please I beg you! Don't kill me! I didn't do anything!" Mary cried hysterically as she cowered before the other girl, tears again flowing down her cheeks.

The girl was ready to finish her task, it would not be a challenge at all–this was a piece of cake and no one would be around to finish. But seconds before the blade of her scythe reached Mary's forehead, she hesitated. Those odd-colored eyes were mildly wide as it continued looking at the latter's emerald green eyes.

Mary took this chance by sprinting away before the hostile girl snapped out of a trance or whatever, she went inside the mouth of a cave without seeing the warning sign painted on the wood plank nailed next to it.

'First I got into a school for boys and now someone wants to kill me, what is going on?! I don't understand anything!' Her internal rambling came to a halt upon tripping, Mary winced as her knees landed on the rough ground. She imagined there were some chunks of rocks that already skinned her knees.

Lights lit up around the disheveled redhead, various colors illuminating the cave coming from crystals protruding out of the cavern walls and rocks.

"Wow..." For a nanosecond, she forgot her demise and got taken by the crystals.

But that was short-lived.

The ground beneath Mary began to quake accompanied by a stench scent, foul enough to turn her stomach upside down. From ahead and emerging from the darkness was a huge entity Mary didn't know how to describe.

"Intruder..." It spoke ominously, a floating giant with a cracked glass bottle as its body, some slimy black ink spilling from that crack. "But you...an intruder...smells good...How pure"

Mary shivered in disgust and terror, she scrambled backward to avoid the approaching monster. "N-no, I'm not...you won't benefit from me, I'm not anything special–"

"Exactly, if you perish here no one will bother looking because you are not special so better stay and be of use to us" Its voice became distorted, as if a mixture of more than one.

Suddenly, someone jumped in front of the shaking and terrified redhead, an electric blue eyes stared up at the malignant creature without a hint of doubt. "How about you become useful to me and be my proof that I'm worth becoming the greatest mage in the future?"

Before the hostile form could retort, a hot blue flame engulfed its abstract body and slowly brought pain in. The creature lets out a howl mixture of agony and anger. "NOOO!!!"

Grim wasted no time dragging a shocked Mary out of the cave by her ankle, he was almost out of breath because she didn't move from her lying position and literally had to drag her out like a potato sack. A loud exploding sound was heard inside the cave and some smoke came out. He noticed the spilled black liquid from the cave which made him raise a brow.

"What the hell?" Grim didn't like the way it smelt but remnants of shattered black gemstones piqued his curiosity.

-

Divus Crewel returned to Ramshackle Dorm after his talk with Dire back in his office. Grim reported about the incident in the Dwarf's Mine where his masked friend explained that it was temporarily forbidden to venture there because of the unexplainable occurrences involving creatures' going mad and leaving inky black trails with a pungent smell.

"Of all the places you went to, it just has to be there" The elegant and handsome professor sighed, feeling stressed at the trouble Mary caused. "But if Grim didn't follow you, the problem in the Mine wouldn't be cleared, I guess it's a blessing in disguise"

Right now, Mary was sleeping soundly in her bed which Divus originally brought her after fainting. There was no other safe choice but to stay on campus until they figured things out and finished this puzzle involving the girl.

His soft garnet eyes shifted to the table where he placed a paper bag with more casual dresses and lying neatly flat next to it was the tailored female NRC uniform. Divus managed to get one done for Mary, even Dire expressed curiosity about how he was able to do so many things at the same time.

Divus got off the chair and lightly brushed a strand off Mary's forehead, "Stay sane, pup, see you in my classes tomorrow" As he stepped out into the hall he found Grim along with the dorm's ghosts and the talking beast looked haggard. "Well done, rowdy wolf, I didn't know you had it in you to take the initiative of making this dorm appear livable"

Grim deadpanned, "This ain't for free, in exchange I am going to stay here and finish school whether the Headmaster wants it or not. He owed me big time not to mention...if I leave that clueless girl on her own, she will be mincemeat"

"You are not wrong," Divus nodded, crossing his arms. "I'll appreciate it if you will continue looking after Mary, all your efforts won't be left unrewarded. Starting today onward, Ramshackle Dorm will be your haven"

After the professor left, the ghosts began talking loudly in query.

"Is it just me or does Sir Crewel seem quite fond of the outsider?" The tallest ghost asked in wonder while holding a broom.

Grim turned to them, "Really? Isn't that his normal behavior?"

The chubby one replied while wiping the wall off any dust. "Not at all, he is quite strict with the boys but earlier when I was taking a walk after my nap I saw him so busy talking on the phone with people. I think he looks excited about getting those clothes for the girl. I'd say he is adamant in having her stay"

The smallest of the ghosts trio shrugged his shoulders. "So long as we have some company, it's fine. We're quite happy to have you two here, it's been a while since we have had any other visitors"

---

(A/N: Heartslabyul Arc starts in the next chapter.)