Rozdział czwarty

As the days begrudgingly passed, Winona found herself trapped in a relentless cycle of despair. Platters of decayed and inedible food were placed before her, just out of reach, a cruel mockery of sustenance. It was a form of torture, a constant reminder of her captivity and the oppressive power that held her.

The days seemed to blur together in the dimly lit cell, and Winona's sense of time became distorted. Each meal, if it could be called that, was a mockery of nourishment, and she couldn't help but wonder if the intention was to slowly break her spirit.

The stench of the cell, with its fetid air and the lingering odor of decay, was a constant assault on her senses. It clung to her like a second skin, a reminder of the inescapable confinement that bound her. It was a stench that permeated the very fabric of her existence, a grim testament to the harsh reality of her situation.

In the midst of her captivity, Winona's resolve remained unbroken. She was determined to find a way to escape.

                              •   •   •

The distinctive click of the cell door echoed through the damp cellar, prompting Winona to lift her drained gaze. Her eyes, though wearied, still held a glimmer of resistance. Two brooding guards, clad in heavy armor, entered the cell with an air of authority.

They roughly handled her, their grip unyielding as they unchained her from the shackles that had bound her for what felt like an eternity. As her hands were freed, a sense of relish washed over her. The touch of freedom, even in its simplest form, was a balm to her spirit.

However, the taste of freedom was short-lived. One of the guards pulled out another metal chain, and Winona found herself bound once more. The rough treatment did little to break her resolve. Instead, she seized the moment to taunt her captors, her words sharp and defiant.

"Is this the best the king can muster? Two guards to handle a mere shadow?" she jeered, her tone laced with mockery. The men, however, remained indifferent, strictly following the orders of their king.

Ignoring her taunts, they held her firmly, dragging her out of the cell. The corridor, dimly lit and reeking of dampness, unfolded before her as she was led away from the confines of her wretched imprisonment. Finally, she could take a whiff of fresh air, away from the suffocating stench that had become a haunting companion in her cell.

As Winona was firmly held between the guards, they dragged her through the opulent grounds of the palace. Her eyes met those of other guards and curious maidens who glanced her way. The naive maidens whispered among themselves, casting furtive glances at the mysterious woman being escorted through the palace grounds.

Though Winona couldn't hear their words, the scowl on her face served as a warning that deterred them from voicing their thoughts aloud. The procession continued through the ornate surroundings until a grand door came into view, nestled within the opulent confines of the palace.

As they approached, three guards stood straight and unyielding, forming a formidable barrier before the imposing door. Their gaze met hers with a stoic resolve, and the weight of their collective presence hinted at the significance of what lay beyond.

The grand doors swung open, revealing an opulent court room that radiated both power and decadence. The guards on either side of Winona dragged her into the room, where the grandeur of the setting unfolded before her eyes.

King Aurelius sat on his imposing throne, an embodiment of regality and ruthlessness. He was adorned in opulence, covered in a rich fur coat held on either side by chains of gleaming gold. His crown, an emblem of his authority, adorned his brow with a cold, unyielding brilliance.