Once a Coward, Always a Coward

October 1888

Ominis was rounding the corner when he overheard the conversation that would change Duncan Hobhouse's life forever.

"Anne's not as smart as she seems. She may be good at Charms, but have you seen her in Potions? She couldn't brew a Healing Potion if her life depended on it."

Ominis stopped dead in his tracks, nearly dropping his wand in the process. He was glad he was alone. He was glad Sebastian or Anne didn't overhear it. It was only him, and whoever Duncan was speaking with. Perhaps Everett. Maybe Garreth?

"Hobhouse!" Ominis growled.

The sound of shuffling to his right, then, "Ominis?" That grating voice was more irritating than Ominis remembered. Ominis imagined Duncan quivering in his shoes.

"What did I hear you say?" The question was innocent enough, but Ominis made sure his tone was low and threatening.

Duncan stammered incoherently. Another voice, unmistakably Everett's loud braying, came to Duncan's aid. "Ominis, whatever you overheard, it was nothing untoward. We've been debating who would make a good study partner before end-of-year exams."

"A likely story," Ominis tapped his foot impatiently on the ground, "which I don't buy, by the way, especially with exams being so far off."

"Oh well, it was worth a try," Everett said in a rush, fumbling with something - his bag, perhaps - as Duncan yelled out, "Hey!" But it was too late. Everett made a hasty exit with a hurried exclamation of "Sorry, mate," his footsteps echoing down the vast corridor.

"Don't you dare move a muscle," Ominis said, raising his wand in the air, training it in the direction of Duncan's voice. He could faintly make out a dark figure before him; he wasn't completely blind after all, just mostly. Not that blurry shapes did Ominis much good, but at least he knew where to point his wand.

His wand helped a little, too, tugging gently in his palm whenever his target moved, even if it was only a small step backward like Duncan just took.

"You wouldn't!" Duncan squeaked.

"I won't if you admit to what you said."

Duncan audibly gulped, then bolted down the hallway.

For Merlin's sake! Ominis hadn't anticipated starting his morning chasing Duncan Hobhouse around the many winding corridors of Hogwarts. Luckily, Duncan's lack of grace as he stumbled through the crowded halls wasn't his only tell; his heavy, labored breathing also gave him away.

With the help of his wand, Ominis managed to dart through a gaggle of his classmates without plowing into anyone, only once grazing someone very lightly; thankfully not forcefully enough to elicit a sound of protest.

It didn't take long for Ominis to catch up with Duncan. "Hobhouse!" he shouted, his wand raised and tugging gently to the left.

"How did you..." Duncan sputtered.

Ominis cut in before he could finish his sentence. "The longer you delay your admission, the angrier I get. You won't like me when I'm angry."

Ominis listened intently as Duncan took another step back, followed by the sound of a heavy thud against a hard object. It was a wall – Duncan had reached a dead-end. Just as Ominis had hoped. Duncan was cornered. Perfect.

"Hobhouse," Ominis pressed. It wasn't a question; it was a demand. Admit it now, or else.

Duncan let out a shaky exhale. "I... I said something about someone not being as smart as they seem."

"Who?" How long was Duncan going to drag this out? This was starting to get ridiculous.

"One of the Sallows."

"I'm not an idiot, Hobhouse," Ominis replied, glowering. "I heard what you said."

"Fine!" Duncan shouted. "Anne! I said it about Anne!"

Ominis nodded curtly. "Okay, now that you've admitted it, tell me more."

"Excuse me?"

Ominis waved his wand around in the air impatiently. "Why would you say such an untrue thing about Anne?"

There was a brief silence, and then Duncan asked, "Why?" Duncan sounded thoroughly perplexed.

"Is there an echo in here?" Ominis was cross, yes, but he found he was quite enjoying making Duncan squirm. In fact, maybe he should do this more often.

There was another maddening pause. One beat, then two. Finally, Duncan said, "I suppose, I suppose it's... because I fancy her?"

Ominis snorted. "That's a lie, and you know it." At least he very much hoped it was a lie. If it wasn't...no, no, don't even consider it, Ominis. Anne would never allow it. And she could certainly fend for herself.

"Fine! It's because I'm jealous of her! There. Are you happy now? Can I please leave?"

Ominis smiled darkly. "No."

"What do you want from me?"

"I want you to promise you'll never speak another ill word of Anne Sallow ever again."

"I won't! I promise I won't!"

"Good. Until later then. In class." Ominis turned abruptly, his robes whipping behind him. That was easier than he thought it would be. Well, not counting Duncan's initial retreat.

Speaking of that... that was rather cowardly, wasn't it?