Chapter 34 - Shattered Selves

Exousia stood shakily to her feet, her ears ringing enough that the pained groans and whimpers of demons were muffled. The old house had caught fire—casting light around the house which slowly burned in greater intensity. She looked around and watched demons crawl out of the house in every direction. Every one had been crippled by shrapnel and burned badly. Many of them were already changing into forms with wings, no longer concerned with the charade as they retreated into the night.

The madness in Ammon walked through the flames in the form of the white wolf, patches of white fur alight like embers. It starred, its black eyes devoid of any semblance of intelligence or sanity. They reflected the flames and a fear that had intensified now that it stood alone. For a moment, it couldn't take another step forward. But then it clenched its teeth and began to change its physical form. It became that large and impressive demon, with blackened plate armor, a trimmed beard, a short sword, and melted skin. It screamed like a man, unsheathed its sword, and charged.

Exousia reached into her jacket pocket, her dagger, and held it in a backward grip. She felt rage fill her as she said, “I’m going to kill you once and for all!” The words, even more than those that summoned the tendrils, filled her heart with predatory power. Then, she opened her mouth, breathed out a thick cloud of black smoke, dimmed her form, and charged at her prey.

The Madness put up a futile attack against the cloud of smoke, swinging Ammon’s soul blindly as it coughed black blood.

Exousia weaved into the cloud and stabbed her dagger into the plate-armor on the demon's shin—creating a terrible screeching sound and a wound under the split metal. Then she jumped backward as a sword cleaved the earth where she'd stood. Suddenly, she felt a metal-covered arm ram into her stomach, lift her off her feet, and begin carrying her forward. 

The Madness had charged and didn't stop until they were out of the smoke and near the dead gardens at the front of the burning house. And still, it kept going.

Exousia gasped for a breath and then sent a sharp elbow into the demon's skull, sending them both crashing to the ground. 

The two then charged at one another and exchanged blows, doing little to damage one another. The Madness was clumsy, and Exousia did not have the strength to afflict injury through the heavy armor. Eventually, it managed to grab and throw her hard enough that she bounced along the ground like a rock on water. 

Exousia gasped for breath again and then scrambled to her feet. She ignored the pain running through her body, especially the line of bruises from where she’d landed on the staff that had been strapped to her back. Letting out an unearthly shriek, she sent out shadows that rose from the earth and began to slash savagely at the armored demon, sending a shower of spark and blood into the air.

But the Madness let out a scream of its own, charged, and forced its way through the attacking tendrils while still standing. They weren’t strong enough to hold Ammon’s form!

Exousia snarled; she made her hands into fists and sent a wall of flames as her opponent.

But the Madness had gained momentum and threw itself through the flames that burned its flesh and hair. It raised its sword, now only a few feet away. 

Without pausing for a moment, Exousia bit into the fleshy part of her palm, under her thumb. She bit until she tasted blood gush into her mouth. She remembered the first spell she’d ever used–turning her blood into a corrosive acid. And as soon as she’d dodged a downward chop from Ammon’s sword, she slapped his plate-metal breastplate. The effect was immediate; the black armor began to bubble, hiss, and disintegrate. 

The Madness shrieked in pain and then pulled at the weakened metal with savage strength until it gave away. 

But Exousia had seen her opportunity and charged in. She stabbed the demon’s stomach several times and then evaded a right knee aimed at her groin by sinking the blade into Ammon’s knee-cap.