Chapter 3

Skye was looking over the dead body when a million thoughts struck her head. What was happening? Had someone else gotten the message as well, and decided to begin to act on it?

There was a stab mark, as if someone had stabbed the young woman to death.

Kaya was now by Skye's side, and then she whispered, "You know, maybe I don't want to burn that image into my head."

She turned her face, just so she wouldn't have to look at it.

"You know what?" Skye asked, her face turning paler by each second.

"What?" Kaya asked.

"How about we go back to the room and never pass through this hallway again."

Kaya nodded, and then began to walk away when they heard someone frantically gasping. They turned to see a young man, probably around twenty or twenty-two years old. He was an inch shorter than Skye, around five foot eight, and his skin a soothing brown color. His eyes matched his hair perfectly.

"Excuse me, have you seen a girl with blue eyes and blond hair that is in a messy bun?" he asked them both.

He was probably shaking so much that he had to steady himself by placing his hand on the wall. Kaya and Skye both turned their heads to look at the woman on the ground once more. She had blue eyes, and a messy bun. Skye couldn't help but feel bad for the guy, since this was probably someone important to him. She didn't say anything, but he pushed past them anyways.

As soon as he did, tears came falling down his face.

"40," he whispered, touching her bloody figure "Who would do such a thing?"

He got up from his position, and began shouting out names and cussing like crazy, not caring in the least what would happen to him. Skye knew the feeling all too well; not that she remembered when or how. She just remembered crying a lot, grieving for her loved ones.

"We're so sorry," Skye whispered, putting a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"Did you see who did this?" he asked, and at this his face darkened.

Skye hesitated, and so Kaya responded instead.

"No."

For a while, they just stood there. Kaya began to fidget with her gray shirt, and so she said, "Who was she to you?

"My wife," he said.

"Oh..." Skye said, surprised by his answer.

"She had just given birth to our twins... the guards took them away. I don't know what's going to happen to them, but I have to find them. If I don't, then I won't..." he stopped pacing at this. "I have to find the murderer... I have to..."

"We'll help you," Skye suddenly suggested, or more like volunteered. Kaya scoffed at Skye's sudden readiness to go after a murderer that could potentially kill them all.

"No, it's too dangerous," he said, shaking his head. "I have to go by myself."

That was all he said before he left them alone, with the dead body. Deciding that they could no longer take looking at the bloody corpse, they wandered off back to where they were staying.

"Who would do such a thing?" Skye whispered to herself.

"This place keeps on getting worse and worse by the minute," Kaya grunted. "First, horrible treatment. Then, an even worse room... Of course, it ended with the fact that there's a murderer running around, loose."

Skye wanted to mention how she had been offered a deal, but she couldn't find it in her. What if Kaya no longer trusted her because of that? It would be better to stick in pairs... that way, the murderer wouldn't be able to kill them, in fear of getting caught. And even if the murderer did decide to do so, the other would have time to call for help.

"How about one of us stays awake," Kaya said after they arrived.

"Agreed," Skye said, shuddering.

"I'll keep watch, and you can sleep," Kaya said. Then she winked. "It's the least I can do, you know, since you kinda let me take over your room."

Despite the circumstances, Skye found her lips slowly creep into a small smile. Then she undid the covers, which had been messily fixed in a rush, and when she did, she was horror stricken.

"What?" Kaya asked, turning her head because she noticed Skye's concerned expression.

"I..." Skye stuttered.

Then she picked up a bloody knife from her bed, which had stained the rest of the covers.

"Now we know where the knife went," Kaya said, biting her lip as she took the knife from Skye's hands. It was no bigger than Kaya's hand, meaning it was pretty small.

"Better wash this real well if we don't want anyone to think it was us," whispered Kaya.

"Wash what?" someone asked from the doorway.

They both turned their heads, Kaya hiding the knife.

How had she come in, the random lady standing at the doorway?

However she had done it, something told Skye she was most definitely not a friend.