Thirty Seven| Daring The Impossible

D E E N

If I could make last night last forever then I would. I felt her fragile self in my arms and I knew I needed to protect her, even from my family. She was soft, and the least I wanted to do was end up hurting her.

Last night replayed in my head, and I wished I could see her before leaving the house but I had to leave for the office as early as 5:45am because duty called.

Nonetheless, last night was enough for me. More than enough. I loved having her in my arms, I loved how she gave in to my hug and hugged back. I loved how she cried into my shirt and I had to accompany her to the ninth floor, making sure she was safe before leaving. I didn't mind driving on the streets of Abuja, at almost midnight, alone, as long as I got my Vanessa home safe.

My Vanessa...

That felt awesome to think of.

She meant the world to me now. Her happiness meant my happiness.

This woman wasn't who I saw myself giving up on. I saw a future with her, I saw myself growing with her, and I was willing to do anything to be with her. I wanted her to trust me, I wanted her to feel safe around me.

Now, I sat in my office scrolling through her Instagram, and this time, with my main account on my Apple Computer. I was done being such a jerk and hiding behind some stupid account.

I smiled going through her highlights especially her 'Family Time' videos. She spent so much time with family. Most of them were small gatherings, playing card games, having barbecue nights, karaoke nights, and so on. She came from a really fun family, I could understand why she always gave off a bright aura.

I had to work, sign documents, approve meetings, but I was just stuck on thinking about a girl who was with my mum, planning things for my birthday. Talking about my birthday like this felt gay, but it was a good thing to celebrate.

Someone knocked on my door, had to be Kemi. Apart from the cleaner, she was always the first to come into my office every morning, to get me coffee or tea, and give me updates on what was going on or meetings she had scheduled. Kemi was a hard worker.

She walked into my office, greeted and moved straight to the dispenser. I noticed how she hid her face. I knew Kemi and she was always cheerful. She always had a smile on her face every morning, even if she had to fake it, but I hadn't ever seen a fake smile before, or maybe I hadn't noticed.

Today, it was obvious. Something was wrong. What could be wrong?

"Kemi," I called her and she stopped what she was doing. "Kemi," I called her again.

"Sir.."
Her voice was shaky.

I got up from my seat and went to her. "Kemi, look at me."

"I'm fine, Mr. Rayhan." Her voice was shaky. I didn't even ask if she was okay.

I rose her face to meet mine, and I saw the black eye she had. Her big-framed glasses couldn't even hide it. I felt rage rush in my veins. Anger curled hot and unstoppable in my gut, like a blazing inferno that wanted to burn me from the inside out. Irritation surged up inside me. I clenched my fist angrily.

"Who did this to you Kemi?" I asked.

She shook her head and the tear dropped. "I slipped while —"

"Don't irritate me, Kemi. Who did this to you? What's his name?"

I knew this was abuse and I knew it was her stupid boyfriend, I just couldn't remember his name. I could feel veins bulging out from my forehead. I hated things like this; I hate domestic abuse. I hated having to see women go through domestic violence in the hands of unworthy men. If they couldn't be protectors, why put a woman in a situation where she feels safe and then can't even keep her safe?