chapter two ─ the baker with the nancy thompson hair

act one , chapter two

act one , chapter two ...
the baker with the nancy thompson hair !

( june of nineteen eighty-five ! )

( now playing ... old time rock
and roll ─ bob segar ! )

── ✧ ──

THE BELL ON TOP OF THE DOOR RINGS FOR what seems like the millionth time today. It had been busy all day. People coming in, people coming out. It was a little hectic. But Clarence and Alessandra knew that they had to work at a faster pace than what they were doing. It was difficult, but being the two most hard-working employees, they managed to get it done. Today has been particularly busy because of the cookie order that they had to make, which took almost half the day to do. But they had made all of them just in time for those kids that had the party. But it had slowed down, only for a little bit. It was evening so this was about the time that everything slowly died down. It was a time that gave both workers some relief.

Old Time Rock and Roll by Bob Segar plays on the tiny radio that's on the counter of the display area. Alessandra had just came out of the back room where they made all the desserts. She notices Clarence, his elbow propped and his head rested between his thumb and his index finger as he's writing down the orders they've done today. Or the ones that he can remember.

Alessandra looks at her baking partner with a little bit of worry. She puts the pan of cheesecake that she's currently holding under the display area under the counter. She walks over to him, putting a gloved hand onto his shoulder.

"You alright?"

Clarence turns his head, he puts the pen down before facing the woman, giving her a nod. "Yeah! I'm fine. Tired, is all."

"Clare. . . How many hours did you get?"

"What?"

"How many hours of sleep did you get?"

Clarence said nothing. He didn't say a word.

"Clarence. . ."

". . . Okay so I only got five hours of sleep─"

Alessandra looks at Clarence like he's crazy. But that crazy look also had undertones of worry. She takes a step forward, to where now, she was standing right next to him. A sigh escapes her lips.

"We talked about this, Clare," Alessandra says back to him, "Why aren't you sleepin'?"

"I am!"