chapter four ─ invited to the rainbow club fun

act one , chapter four

act one , chapter four ...
invited to the rainbow club fun !

( june of nineteen eighty-five ! )

── ✧ ──

STUART AND JJ HAD WENT OVER TO THE Reznik-Byers household once again. JJ, away with Pearl again, and Stuart and Joyce were once again sitting at the kitchen table with coffee mugs. Stuart actually liked that he got to do this more often with Joyce. The two were often catching up with years worth of information. Even though he had visited throughout the years, there was always something to talk about. But, Joyce still hadn't talked about the Gordie guy that Roxie told him about a day prior. He wasn't going to bring it up. At least, not now. But he had been here almost a couple hours, and still no mention of the guy. So, he had no choice. Even if it was a risky one, he just needed to know if the guy was good enough for Joyce. Especially after what she went through with Lonnie.

Stuart sits down the coffee mug after taking a sip. Joyce noticed that he has been oddly quiet after a moment. It makes her raise an eyebrow in suspicion. She then puts her own coffee mug down on the tables, looking at him.

"Okay, spill it," She says to him.

"Spill what?"

"Whatever you're thinking about. Go on! Talk! I know Roxie's gossiping about me. I can see it on your face."

"What are you talking about?" Stuart asked, picking up his coffee mug again, "Roxie isn't. . . Gossiping about you."

"Oh, yes she is. How else would you know about Will going missing, or me finally divorcing Lonnie?" Joyce questioned.

Shit. Joyce knew both of them well. She knew that Roxie was coming back to him and telling him any information that he needed to know about Joyce. But it was for a good reason. He wanted to make sure that no one was being mean to Joyce. He knew how sensitive she could be. But, he also knew how strong she could be, too.

After drinking more of his coffee, he looks at her with a straight face, putting the mug down.

"Who's Gordie?"

That's when Joyce kind of froze. She didn't expect that question to come out of his mouth. She was now wondering if she should even answer the question or not. She looks away, sipping the coffee from her mug awkwardly.

"Joyce Marian. . . Who is he?" He asks again.

She puts the mug down. "Just a friend! That's all! He's nice!"