chapter three ─ coffee gossip

act one , chapter three

act one , chapter three ...
coffee gossip !

( june of nineteen eighty-five ! )

( now playing ... cinderella
man ─ rush ! )

── ✧ ──

" GODDAMN , YOU'VE BEEN WORKIN' ON THOSE SAME FILES FOR AN HOUR. "

SOMEONE WAS BOUND TO SAY THAT TO him today. He just didn't expect it to be another co-worker. Let alone Roxie Milkovich. He was a slow worker. He took his time with all the case files that he handled. He didn't want one left behind and he didn't want one of them to seem undone. He was meticulous. Roxie knew that. But, sometimes it was annoying because of how meticulous Stuart Johnston can get. He was a little bit of a perfectionist, and it was a bit of a hassle. But Roxie Milkovich couldn't ask for a better partner in crime while they both worked for the Hawkins Public Courthouse. She was just glad that he was back in town after twenty years of being away, even though they had gone to Harvard Law together.

Cinderella Man by Rush had been playing on the small radio. Roxie has heard the whole Farewell to Kings album about three times now. It drove her absolutely wild. She has walked past his office for about the third time and she has heard it. It's what eventually makes her walk into it and pause the small radio. It makes Stuart look up. It breaks his concentration.

"What the hell, Roxie?"

"You are coming with me. Looks like you need a coffee break," Roxie says back to him, "So let's go."

Roxie Milkovich was Karen Wheeler's sister. Blonde hair, dressed in entirely pink. It definitely contrasts with Stuart's gray and black attire. Don't be fooled by that, though. She was a force to be reckoned with in the courtroom. Stuart and Roxie were known as the partners in crime there at the courthouse. Together, they were unstoppable.

"Can't I finish this file first?" Stuart asks. It makes Roxie shake her head.

"No, Stu. You need a break. Meet me at the coffee machine. We need to talk anyways," She tells him, before walking out of his office.

A sigh escapes his lips. He knows Roxie way too well. Coffee machine meet equals gossip. As much as he loved Roxie as his friend, he hated gossip. Especially gossip that happened within work. It wasn't his style.

He puts his pen down and he gets up from his chair. Stuart walks out of his office and he sees Roxie down the hall at the coffee station. Roxie looks at him, before giving him a little wave. He walks over to the coffee machine, looking at the blonde-haired lawyer.