Ch. 5

Ominis couldn't help but worry about Raven. Yesterday at Potions Class was the last he or Sebastian saw of her. She'd practically disappeared the rest of the evening. He hoped she wasn't still stressed, because earning everyone's attention had certainly left her no room to breathe. Ominis had expected to find her in the Great Hall for breakfast, but alas, she was still absent.

"Ugh, I'm not looking forward to those Herbology essays," Sebastian complained. "I don't mind growing the plants, but who thought it was a good idea to have us write about them as well?"

"No idea."

The two boys were crossing the suspension bridge leading to the Astronomy Wing. They had to attend Transfiguration Class soon.

"Twelve inches on knotgrass and its uses? Utterly ridiculous. What plant were you assigned, Ominis?"

"Dittany," he answered simply.

"Brilliant. You know what would've been more interesting to write about? Mandrakes. Venomous Tentacula. Chinese Chomping Cabbage. Pretty much anything of that sort."

"Agreed."

Sebastian stopped in his tracks, causing his friend to copy him. "What's with the lack of small talk? You're never this disinterested." He thought back on what might've been bothering him, a smirk tugging at his lips. "Raven on your mind? Still?"

Ominis sighed. "I simply can't help myself. I've been worried since she snapped yesterday."

"I'm sure she's fine. We'll probably see her today in one of our classes." A chuckle escaped him. "Admit it, you're just all upset because she won't let you court her." Ominis pursed his lips, a bit embarrassed but unsurprised that his best friend understood his intentions. "She'll come around when she's ready. If what you told me about your childhood with her is true, then there's no way she doesn't still feel something, too."

"You're right," Ominis said. "I know. I'm trying to be patient with her but it's difficult. Sometimes all I want is to..." He fell silent. "Are those wingbeats I hear?"

Sebastian looked up upon hearing them, too. A large, black bird swooped over their heads. It transformed just before landing, and suddenly, Raven was standing before them, holding a dusty, old leather bag. The freckled boy stumbled back in shock, his eyes wide with amazement.

"Merlin's beard! Raven! You're an Animagus?!"

"Um, yes." The girl sounded as if it was no big deal, having to remind herself that not many knew. "Oh, right. You weren't aware, Sebastian. Go ahead and poke fun if you must. I turn into a raven just as my name implies."

"Why would I make fun of you? That's a spectacular ability! Do you even know how many places I could get to if I could do that?"

A soft laugh left the girl. "You mean places that are off limits and will get you sent straight to detention again?"

"No, because I'm clever enough not to get caught."

Ominis cleared his throat in order to break up their conversation. "Are you feeling all right, Raven? I mean, after yesterday's events..."

Raven's expression visibly changed to a much softer, sweeter one when turning her attention to the blind boy. "Yes, I'm feeling better. Thank you. I didn't mean to worry you." Her bag suddenly jerked, and she was quick to hug it to her body.

Sebastian quirked a brow. "What's in the bag? Are you sneaking pets into the castle now?"

"No." Raven's swift response was proven untrue when her bag shuddered in her hold. She frowned at the teasing smile on the brunet's face. "Maybe. But don't you dare tell anyone or so help me, I'll-"