ten

I sat in the truck, feeling nauseous down to my toes. I wore large sunglasses, and a near transparent black infinity scarf. Dark bellowy sweater and some thin pants that were just a bit thicker than leggings.

 I leaned my elbow on the handle, my chin in my palm. "....How much longer until we get there?" 

 He reached over and pat my thigh. "Chill, Mimi." 

 I pulled away from him, biting back something mean. I sucked in a breath and glared out at the brown landscape. Winter in California was like fall back in Michigan, I think the lowest temperature we had over the past few days was sixty something. "You said we'd be there in an hour." 

 "It's a long ways out." Matt withdrew from me slowly, sighing some. "....How's your family." 

 Matt Pedrosa was a friend I met during high school, through Genevieve. Dark skinned Mexican who was six feet and some change. Longish hair that was combed and lightly gelled back from his face, that was adorned with a neatly trimmed beard and mustache. Muscular build, and dressed for the mild California winter.

 "....Keenan is doing a lot better. Full recovery." I said, still watching the landscape pass. I reached down between my feet and pulled up the cans of pop Matt had brought along. I cracked open one, took a sip, then held it out to him.

 "....Sorry for making you drive me around." I said as he accepted the can. 

 "Don't worry about it." he said, taking a swig. "You're welcome to stay out here if things are getting to... heavy over there." 

 I cracked open another can and reached to adjust his cup holder. Matt slid the can in and looked back to the road. We had started driving maybe two hours ago, from Lebec where I had stopped as it was halfway between Los Angeles and Bakersfield. I had come in yesterday, and had a taxi drop me off at some crummy motel that was just in the desert. 

 I slept through an entire day and because I didn't call anyone, they all freaked out. I stared at my phone, and the last Facebook pin that I used instead of communicating where I was. Today felt like I was experiencing a dream. The brick and cast iron gate pulled into view and Matt cleared his throat. 

 I put the can to my lips and downed it. The bubbles stung like hell up my nose, but it was worth it. I needed the sugar and calories. 

 I reached in the back seat of the truck, careful of the flowers Matt had bought at the grocery store. He pulled into a parking spot and looked out at the land. It was trim, and slightly greener than the rest of Cali. Matt turned off the ignition and slid out the car. He walked around the truck and opened my door for me. 

 I felt like today was a dream. I was finally going to meet Veeve. 

 I don't remember when or how I got from one end of the massive plot to the other, but when I did get there I had trouble breathing. I expected Genevieve to be sitting on the cast iron and wooden bench some feet away, grinning like a maniac at us. She would run up to me and I would smell her vanilla shampoo. 

 I stared at the granite marker. Two feet by one foot, the name and date area shown bright in the winter sun.