eighteen

I stood in the grand foyer of the house. A footman took my shawl to the coat check, and another footman escorted me down another hall. The halls smelled like delicate floral perfumes, jasmine and roses, and when I made it to a dining room like area it smelled of cinnamon and chocolate.

The table was lined buffet style, with delicious looking foods and a punch bowl fountain. I thanked my escort, and looked around for someone. I didn't know anyone, and Frigga's neutrals were not there. They did my makeup, hair, dressed me, and dropped me off at the front door of the New Orleans house.

A waiter circled the room, and I snagged a champagne flute as he passed.

I walked around a bit, dressed in half calf black boots, and an off the shoulder light teal dress that had half sleeves. My hair was a pony tail with a small pompadour, and turquoise chandelier earrings that matched my dress and accented by skin.

I looked out of place, brighter colored and like I was going out for a fun affair. The other women wore cocktail dresses in various shades of dark reds, blues, or maroon. Their partners wore suits with matching ties. The Vampires smelled of fresh trilled soil, and cool stones after the rain. They were beautiful like supermodels, some baring sharp cheek bones and slightly gaunt frames.

The Witches smelled of sage, and sandal wood, or dried flowers and rain water. Their eyes were bright, and colored hues I had never really seen. A girl who almost collided with me, her eyes were blue one moment, but violet the next. She excused herself in a rush and dashed off to another part of the house.

There was a small bar and a bar tender in a room that had low light, and seats for lounging.

I had no head aches at this time, but a cramp was working it's way in my gut that was similar to Mother Nature's monthly visit. I finished my champagne, and saw the bar tender looking as board as I felt. She was dressed in a stripped vest, button up blouse and a bow at the collar that was folded into a rose. Her hair was black with magenta highlights in the front, and black ends in the back.

"...That's cool." I pointed to my throat, then motioned to her.

The bar tender snickered, and put her elbow on the bar top. She put on hand on her hip, "They're a pain to do. All the women staff are wearing them."

"I bet... I can only do like... The windsor knot." I looked around for a stool and found none. I looked at the bottles behind her and frowned at the choices.

"Lemme guess, from your mate or something? Help him dress up?" the bar tender stood up straight. She stroked her chin, looked me over, then looked back at the shelves. "What's your poison?"

"Junior high. Everyone wore ties." I put my clutch on the bar, drumming my manicured nails on next to him. "....That thing with the dragon. That looks familiar."

She put her hand on the dark bottle, and I nodded. She brought it down, looking at the label. She wolf whistled. "I think Morgane brought this... Yeah, because this brand isn't local."

"It's only in Michigan; they're pretty new. Like, a year or two." I said, reaching in my clutch for a few bills. I shoved them in the fish bowl that said tips.

She placed a frosted scotch glass in front of me, and poured the liquid from the bottle. We both sighed at the smell of peach blossoms and wild blueberries. "This smells amazing... I never knew we had it, geez."

"The brand is really good." I said, "But they only use seasonal ingredients, to their local state."

"Gotta get more of this... When I'm not on the clock I want a glass." she sniffed the bottle mouth before closing it. "You don't smell the booze at all." Then her eyes went to the label and she made a surprised noise. "This has almost twice the alcohol as Vodka."