sixteen

I found dishes today. Like, an entire family set of dishes and place settings. They were probably from the 70s, they were ceramic with little birds painted on the rims and the handles of the cups. there were six large plates, six medium plates, five saucers, six coffee mugs, two tea cups, and four bowls. Some of the stuff was broken, either from storage or transport. There were other sets, and I set certain ones aside to take upstairs while the others I would sell.

I found blue glasses, pitchers, and a set of bed room furniture that I would have some of the guys help me take upstairs. As soon as I clean out all the spiders and their nests, it would be mine.

It was good to fill in the empty space of being asleep and awake with something. I found a box of animal remains at the bottom of a pile of things. It stunk, and I dragged it to another part of the building. I don't know what had died, but I knew I kind of wanted the bones.

Since I had all the keys to the property, I felt like I should have went and checked out the other buildings. One of the duplexes was nothing but garbage. The lower floor had yard tools, pesticides, and some heavy duty machinery. I found a hand scythe, and a long handled scythe, both would need to be sharpened, but in the shape they were in I could get to work on the yard.

I lost track of time, and it was dawn by the time I finished clearing really high grass off the yards. I found snake skins, shed ones not pelts, and thought it was a good idea. As I was finishing up, and laughing that the tool that was only a little bit taller than me, the truck pulled up with the workers.

They looked at me, and I looked at them.

".....Ma'am?" One of the younger men stepped forward, hands up in a surrendering gesture. "Is everything... Alright?"

I looked at him, then the scythe in my hand. "I was just... Getting the yard under control."

He edged closer, hands out for the scythe. I frowned, then switched my hands to hold it out the shaft to him.

"It's pretty okay... A little dull... But look! I cleaned up all that tall grass." I motioned near the buildings. There was flattened grass and areas that looked like something was living. "I just... there were snakes and rats running around last night. I'd rather they not... ya know, get inside anything."

He handled the scythe, hefting it and checking it over. He felt the blade, the point and where it was joined to the shaft. "..... I can sharpen this for you?"

I looked at the one building where I found it. "...That'd be rad... Any chance of my getting a lawn mower?"

The guy shrugged. "You'd better head inside. The sun's gonna be a scorcher today."

I nodded, glancing back at the other men as they unloaded their trucks to work for the day. "....I put more waters in the fridge. I refilled the freezer liquid so now it's actually cold." He opened his mouth, a frown creasing his brow. "I flushed the old liquid and put the stuff in one of those paint cans. refilled the refrigerant."

He held the scythe, looking at me hard. I waved, then went inside to get cleaned up and head to bed. Alex was sitting at the top of my stairs, looking down at me. I began walking up the stairs, when the toe of my shoe caught on a box. The boxes on top of it slid and a mess of calenders, cook books, and home and garden magazines spilled out. I grabbed the books and shoved them in a box that wasn't water damaged or crumbling and stared at what I had tripped over. It was a box, the cover faded and warped slightly but I saw what it spelled.

"Ouija."

"Oh no no no oh no oh no oh nonono!" I grabbed the box and began walking. The closer I got to the door, the heavier the package got. "NO! OH HELL NO NO!"