Chapter 9 ● Break In

-- Muskaan --

I walk into the Library and wave at my co-worker behind the desk. The sophomore smiles over at us but doesn't raise any questions as to why we were walking into the library without a backpack or a laptop and heading for the elevators. I press the button for the third floor and lead Sameer towards the employee office. He locks the door behind him as I log into the shared computer and open up a blank document.

Sameer dictates for me as I type out a letter to our anonymous writer. My heart was still running a little faster than normal. I was beginning to heat up and so I took off my jacket before I passed out from the heat.

"You okay?" Sameer asks concernedly, a hand on my shoulder and he looks down at me. I nod, giving him a reassuring smile before pressing print on the document. I make sure nothing is saved on the computer while he slips the paper into the inside pocket of his jacket.

"I need an excuse why I was here," I look around the room, trying to find something I could take. A stray pink water bottle is on the other desk and I grab it before we head back downstairs. The girl at the front desk looks up as we walk by and I wiggle the bottle in front of me. "Found it! See you later."

She waves as we scurry out of the building. Without speaking, Sameer leads us both in the direction of my apartment but a thought pops in my head that has be stopping him. "How will we get this to the writer?"

"I hadn't thought that far," he admits, chagrined.

"Let's talk this through," I imagine I have a notepad in front of me as I write out my thoughts. "She publishes her articles through the newspaper. We have this note for her that we printed at the library so there would be no trace back to us. Which means we need to get this to her anonymously. So somehow we need to get this piece of paper on the desk of the writer."

"I think that means we need to go back to the Student Center."

"And then what? Break in?" I chuckle incredulously. But his expression is serious. "You're crazy Sameer. We'll get in trouble."

"Oh come on VP, live a little," he smirks. "I think I've made a decision. I like Moose better."

"Ha, ha" I smack his arm. "Let's go. And if anyone sees us, I will ditch you and run for my life," I warn.

He sighs dramatically. "You hurt me Maheen. I would give my life for you, you won't take a scolding for me?"

I stop in my tracks and turn. "You'd give your life for me?" I ask curiously. His eyes look genuine but he's still smiling jestingly. "Don't bother," I tease, continuing on my walk. For the second time this evening, I push open the doors to the expansive building and we check the signage to find the floor for the newspaper's office.

We walk up to the signage to find the correct floor we needed to get to. As I stand and skim the numbers, Sameer throws an arm over my shoulders, humming absentmindedly as he looks around. I try to not react as his fingers strum my shoulder but it's hard to remember what I was looking for when I'm so cozily tucked into his side.

The elevator dings, a welcome distraction, and out walks a petite girl holding a giant box. "Hey, Mahira! Do you need some help?" I ask her.

"Hey, it's coffee shop girl!" Sameer calls out to her.

I jab his side as her cute face peeks around the box with a smile. "It's one cream to sugars, one pump hazelnut syrup," she chuckles, setting the box down. Sameer laughs with her. "I'll be okay. It's inventory day at the coffee shop," she points to the box full of straws and napkins she was carrying.