Chapter 21 ● Operation Muffins

-- Muskaan--

Suhana and I met in grade nine. It was in math class, and I was struggling with answering the teacher who called on me to solve an algebra problem on the board. Some mean girls passed comments as I returned to my seat beside this green-eyed, frizzy haired girl. Suhana whipped around and gave them such a death stare that they never even looked my way after that day.

Thus began a friendship that only grew stronger with every passing year. Suhana was with me through every high and low in high school. She became my rock, steadying me as my world shifted with Hania's leaving and my accident. She was my shield, my confidant, my biggest cheerleader.

Although she grew into her innate femininity and out of her tomboyness, she was still the same freaky genius I met at 14. Rarely was I surprised by things she said, but even I was questioning the words the just came out of her mouth.

"No one knows who the Tale Teller is. So maybe we can become her?"

I look at her, trying to make sure I wasn't imagining her saying this. "What even..."

"Hear me out," she insists, nearly jumping off the sofa. "Nobody knows who's writing these articles but everyone takes her word for gospel. If we put this video out, saying it's from her, people will believe it. And they'll see it right away so Jack can't do anything to get it taken down before it gets out. We just need to figure out how we can get the video into her article before it gets published. There's enough smart people here, I'm sure we can find a way."

Sameer looks up at me, a mix of amusement and confusion on his face.

"She's actually not wrong," Zain's quiet voice commands all of our attention. "I don't know how you would do it, but if you can, that's the end of Jack's... well, crimes."

"Remember when we broke into the editor's office?" Sameer asks me. "We saw the article on the editor's desk."

"Does it mean that it comes in print form and then they type it up for the newspaper?" Ruhaan asks.

"That's what we were confused about too when we saw it," I tell him. "But if it comes in print format, that might help us. We'd just have to figure out how to make our own copy and then add in the video link."

"How can you trust it won't be changed by the editor?" Zain asks.

He had a point. We all look at each other, hoping someone has a solution, deflating when no one says anything.

"Well it doesn't hurt to try," Sameer says, squaring his shoulders confidently. "We can't get bogged down with the what-ifs. We need to get this video on YouTube, and then figure out how to get into that office without getting caught again."

"If we can get a key, we can get in quickly. We just need to ensure the hallway cameras don't pick you two up," Ruhaan notes.

"I think it should be easy enough to create a distraction in the hallway so you can slip in," Suhana says. "But you would need time in there and get out without being spotted."

Everyone continues to talk out ideas, coming up with plans and backup plans. I try to hold on to the hope inside that this may work. It had to.

Everyone had gone to get food except Sameer and I. I helped him prep the table for dinner, absentmindedly setting down plates and forks for Hakka night as my thoughts ran with the memory of the last time we broke into the student centre.

Sameer's arms drape around me, and I recline into his chest. "I haven't had you to myself in forever."

"We had breakfast together this morning," I remind him.