Chapter 17 ● Friends

-- Muskaan --

Suhana was waiting down the hall the entire time, and engulfed me in her arms as soon as I rounded the corner. I filled her in on the details and then did my best to get it out of my mind for now.

I had just met with my professor to discuss my alleged academic offense. After much begging and convincing, she had agreed to delay the academic trial until I could prove to her that I had in fact not cheated on my paper. She had looked at my perfect track record in school and agreed I deserved a chance to clear my name. Now I just had to figure out how.

Suhana suggested we get lunch and then go for a movie but I was not in the mood to be social so I asked to just walk back home so I could mope.

Just as we're crossing the student center building, Suhana slows us down and points to the parking lot. "What's going on there?"

I follow her finger to see Jack and his girlfriend Kylie leaning against his car, shuffling through some papers in their hands. I get a sense of deja vu seeing them there, just like Sameer and I had all those weeks ago. "They're probably buying essays again," I grumble bitterly. "We should ask them if they know why you're being accused of cheating. They're obviously pros in the art of academic plagiarism."

Her head whips over to me. "You know what, that's a great idea," she smirks, changing directions and stomping over to the couple. My boot's heels click so hard on the pavement that for a split second, I'm scared they'll break as I ran after her.

Jack and Kylie look up when they sense us approaching.

"Hey Kylie! Jack," Suhana smiles manaically at both of them. Jack pushes off the car, his usual perverted eyes raking over Suhana and I. Contrary to our usual roles, I stand in front of Suhana to block his view of her.

"Hey Muskaan, what's up?" Kylie asks confusedly.

"I was wondering if you both could help me," Suhana pushes me aside, taking charge of the conversation again. I hate the way Jack smiles at her but I don't think punching athletes is going to go very well for me. "I need some help with a biology lab paper. I've heard you know some people who can help me."

Jack and Kylie definitely are surprised at my words and look at each other silently, surely debating what to do here. Suhana bats her green eyes at Jack. I hate that she puts herself in his eye line but she knows as well as I do that he has no self-control and will be convinced by this. "Please Jack? I am so stressed out."

Kylie scowls at that but I don't even feel bad. She must know her boyfriend is a complete piece of shit.

"I got you," Jack nods, taking Suhana's phone out of her hands without permission. I see the tensing of her jaw but she stays calm, letting him type some numbers in. "Keep this between us."

"Of course," Suhana smiles sweetly. "Thanks so much for helping me." Suhana leans around him to look directly at Kylie. "You're so lucky to have such a nice boyfriend KyKy. Despite what aaaaaall the people say, I know that Jack tries his 100% with you despite his lacking size. But size doesn't matter honey, you know that!"

I nearly choke as Suhana grabs my hands and pulls us away, back on the road leading home. We barely get across the street before we're stumbling over our feet in howling laughter. "You're the worst," I smack her arm when I finally catch my breath in between laughs. "But I can't believe you just walked up to them and asked them for this number. What if we get in trouble?"

"You mean in more trouble than failing because they think you cheated on a final paper?" she rolls her eyes. "At least this is one step closer to something. I just don't know what yet but I'm sure your pretty brain will figure it out."