XXVII - The Dream

May 2, 2030

Back at work, Will did his best to change his attitude surrounding the case. He placed emphasis on Chilton's guilt, highlighting the DNA evidence and the motives that he could potentially have. he steered the eyes of the FBI away from Hannibal, coming up with potential alibis and showing them that Hannibal had no reason to do these types of things. Chilton was the more neurotic of the two. It made the most sense. He was refusing to confess, but that was likely due to stubbornness on his part, not innocence.

He thought he was doing a good job of it. He thought that everyone was off their backs. But apparently that wasn't the case.

"Hey. I've got a question for you," Jack said as Will walked into his office. "Something important."

"I'll do my best to answer."

"Our guys are going to be interviewing Frederick Chilton again today."

Will's blood ran cold, and he felt a jolt in his brain that signified Hannibal was feeling the same shock. "I-- Chilton? Did he finally talk?"

"No. That's the problem. We've got to get him to talk, though. With the way you've suddenly been firing in on him, I would appreciate some insight on what to do."

"Suddenly. What's that supposed to mean?"

"Your opinion on this case swiveled rather quickly, is what I'm saying."

Will's jaw clenched. "I considered the evidence. Isn't that what comes with the job?"

"Just recently, you were convinced that the evidence was a result of Chilton being framed. What changed your mind on that?"

"I've changed my mind on the job before."

"Not to this degree."

"Where is this coming from? I thought we were all satisfied with the Chilton angle."

"I'm never satisfied until the gavel hits the podium, Will. You started off with your eyes on Hannibal, and now you've turned into the complete opposite. I'm just trying to pinpoint why. I feel like you found something that you're afraid of telling me."

"What do you think I'm hiding exactly, Jack? What do you think I know?" Will narrowed his eyes, offended. "I'm not just gonna sit here and let you insinuate that--"

"Will, you just had to take a week off of work because your brain got too scrambled around," Jack snapped. "You hid things from me, you hid things from your wife. You were apparently running around and conducting your own investigation on Hannibal without my knowledge or permission. It's a miracle you're not fired right now."

"I told you what I thought was going on. You all wouldn't listen to me. You were convinced that Chilton was the culprit, and after some consideration, I am, too. But now you're back to being suspicious of Hannibal? You're the one that's taken a turn, too."

"I'm only asking what changed your mind."

"No, you think that something isn't right. If you were fully satisfied with Chilton as your answer, you wouldn't be having me interrogate him," Will said. "You think that something is amiss. You think he's not entirely to blame. So what do you want, Jack?"

"I want to know if Hannibal was one of your sources on this case."

Will let out an involuntary scoff, shaking his head. He was walking on thin ice right now. "Jack, seriously?"

"It's a completely messy situation, Will. I'm just searching for clarity. You came out of that room the day the evidence was found and begged me to consider Hannibal's guilt. Then you're gone for a week, supposedly talking to people you're not supposed to be talking to in secret, and now you've hardly brought up Hannibal's name."