prologue 04 | but there is comfort in the lost

"𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐬𝐚𝐲 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐨𝐧𝐞, 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐛𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐞𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦 𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐞. 𝐒𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐈 𝐚𝐦 𝐝𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠. 𝐈 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐩 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐦𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐨𝐧. 𝐈 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐠𝐨....𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐬 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐦𝐞. 𝐈 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐧 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐯𝐨𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞. 𝐈 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐨𝐧. 𝐈 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐤𝐞𝐞𝐩 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐢𝐧 𝐦𝐲 𝐩𝐨𝐜𝐤𝐞𝐭. 𝐈 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐲 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐬𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐦𝐞 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞, 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐚 𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐦 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐠𝐥𝐨𝐰." — 𝐓𝐚𝐛𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐚 𝐒𝐮𝐳𝐮𝐦𝐚

∞ ∞ ∞

In the quiet moments of solitude Valerie had recently found herself in, a gnawing feeling both in  her stomach and heart kept her close company during this time.

With this loneliness came a great deal of time for her; time to do her own thing, to explore, plan and think about whatever else waited for her in this world. However, with this large amount of time, the thought of Aurora always came back to her at the end of the day.

...What would she be doing right now?

...Has she been thinking about me?

...Should I call her?

These woulds, shoulds and has beens all branched from and each corner of her stagnant mind, originating from a singular thought that seemed to be the most occurrent than the rest — was it a mistake?

Debating with the very voice of her consciousness, Valerie's heart sunk further into the knife that was embedded in it's thick skin, a forever reminder of the deed that was done and the future she tore apart.

The weight of Aurora's leave felt as if it were a heavy stone that drowned her the more she chose to float in a lake of her memories. But the thing is, Aurora left her with a lot of stones to hold, all of which Valerie lacked the power to let go of. But until she was ready to let go of her, Valerie continued to slowly drown in this lake, immersing with the shadows of the depths she fell closer and closer down to.

And though Valerie's longing only grew over the span of the passing weeks, she stayed true to her memories, allowing herself to grieve in this lake without burning new recollections into her mind if she were to give herself the freedom to see Aurora herself.

So in the depths of this empty chasm, Valerie found it in herself stray from the questions that tormented her, allowing them to remain elusive and out of reach until time would do her the great favour in helping her forget they existed at all.

Seeing as these thoughts already haunted her for the past three weeks, Valerie found it convenient they followed her all the way to the airport, seeming as although the girl could fly 1 million miles away from here, the thought of Aurora would still find a way to her. 

Sinking into the familiar buzz of the airport, Valerie faded into the background of the crowd as she neared her terminal. It was only a few more minutes until they opened the gates, and only a few more minutes until she'd be back in the comfort of her home, nine hours away from here, and 527 miles away from her.