My Father's Son ~ 1

Fandom: Bakugan Battle Brawlers

Shun took a deep breath as he scaled the steps to his grandfather's dojo, keeping a wary gaze for any traps that could have been set up in his absence as he took in the last rays of the setting sun. A tiny, closed-lip smile broke free from his stoic facade at the idea of dangerous, semi-deadly traps hidden along the walkway. Grandfather always loved his surprises, especially if it meant reliving his glory days as a revered ninja master and scaring any poor soul that would dare intrude upon his home.

It had been six months since Shun and the other Bakugan Battle Brawlers had left Earth for Neathia, where they fought against the Gundalian invaders. So much had happened in that time, and it felt strange to the young ninja to be back on home soil.

Queen Serena had held a ceremonial banquet the night before the brawlers left, where she granted them, as well as Princess Fabia and Ren Krawler, medals of honor for their service. Shun fingered his absently as he shadowed down a familiar hallway of the dojo.

His was gold with a large emerald embedded in its center as a tribute to his status as a Ventus brawler. Having changed back into the clothes he wore before leaving earth and with his Castle Knight uniform neatly packed in his satchel, the medal thumping lightly against his chest was the only physical reminder of Neathia on his person.

A low swiping sound was the only warning he received, and Shun ducked just in time to miss the bamboo bo staff that whooshed where his head had been. Shun twisted out of the way as the staff came back down. The young ninja rolled his amber eyes and flipped back and into a fighting position, slipping a kunai into his palm.

Even though he knew who it was, he had been trained to be ready in case it wasn't who he thought. But this time, he was right.

"Grandpa! Grandpa, it's me!"

The short, old ninja blinked and rubbed his eyes, holding his staff in a resting position. Shun stood and pocketed his blade.

"Shun! You're back! Finally!" the elder exclaimed and wrapped the younger in a sturdy hug around the middle, much to his surprise. The height difference also became very apparent. Shun didn't remember being head and shoulders taller than his caretaker. He had been gone longer than he thought.

His grandfather stepped back and clamped the teen's arms as he sized him up with a critical eye.

"As much as I don't like you playing that Bakugan game, I'm glad you've been able to do something good with it."

That was the closest thing to a compliment his grandfather had ever said to him, and Shun was slightly amused that it took a war on another planet to gain his approval of brawling, or at least, to get the old man to warm up to the idea.

"Now, go get cleaned up, and then you can tell me what you've been up to over a hot cup of green tea. And you better not leave out any details!" he gruffed out at the end, as Shun shouldered his bag and started to walk back down the hall.

The teen hid a wry grin as he replied, "Yes, Grandpa, I'll tell you everything. Missed you too."

Shun listened to the almost silent patter of his grandfather's feet, presumably heading to the kitchen to make tea, as he made his way back to his bedroom. It would be nice to have a quiet room for once.

On Neathia, he was always on alert, listening to the sound of guards patrolling outside and waiting to do his own morning rounds. He'd also had to put up with Jake blasting his music as his own way of unwinding, which did the exact opposite for the ninja, because the walls weren't exactly soundproof. Occasionally Dan would come into his room in search of company when things got tough and he needed his best friend, and like a true friend, Shun was willing to sacrifice a little sleep for the Pyrus brawler.