Not Anymore - 1

Fandom: Psych
....

It had started out as a normal day in the Santa Barbara Police Department. Shawn Spencer, "Head Psychic" of the SBPD, was hanging around the station in hopes of catching a case.

Unfortunately, it was a particularly slow day for everyone, and while he was grateful no one was in any serious danger, it meant that there was nothing for him to do besides slurp on his pineapple smoothie and prank call Gus at his "real" job. But after the fifth call, his best friend refused to answer his phone at all. And that made the game a lot less fun.

The storm clouds outside definitely weren't helping his mood at all.

"Spencer, why are you even here?" Lassiter groaned from his desk. The lack of action was making the already sour detective even more snappish than usual.

Shawn smirked. "Aw, come on, Lassie! You know you'd be bored out of your mind if I wasn't here."

"I'm already bored," he quipped, "But you would make a nice shooting target," he mused.

Shawn rolled his eyes playfully and leaned back in Juliet's chair, his favorite blond currently out getting a routine dental checkup.

"When is Jules going to get back? She is taking forever!" he moaned dramatically.

Lassiter chose not to grace his complaint with an audible statement. Instead, he focused on his paperwork and hoped that if he ignored the faux psychic long enough, he'd go away.

Fortunately for the head detective, Chief Karen Vick stepped out of her office to address the disinterested psychic.

"Mr. Spencer, there is a major storm warning. You are to go home immediately."

Shawn's stopped slurping his smoothie. "What? Why?"

"Everyone else here has to be here. It's a safety and protocol issue. You're not a cop, Mr. Spencer."

"Oh, come on, Chief! I thought we were over this! I promise I will not sue the department if anything happens to me," he stated with a hand over his heart in mock seriousness.

"I can't take that risk," she countered and made a shooing motion, "Now, good day, Mr. Spencer. You'll want to head out before the storm hits."

It was needless to say that Shawn made a large show of his displeasure at being ordered out of the station. It would also be pointless to state that Lassiter was laughing it up as he did so.

Shawn grumbled under his breath as he mounted his Norton, cursing the fact that he forgot his helmet back at the Psych office. He would just have to hope he made it back to his apartment before the storm hit.

The bike growled as he kicked the stand up and revved out of the parking lot, flashing a quick wave at Officer McNab as he raced by. Within minutes he was navigating the streets of Santa Barbara, and twenty minutes later he was following the winding country road that would lead him home.

But he didn't make it halfway there before the rain started coming down in buckets. The roads, which had at first been dry from the arid California heat, became slick, forcing him to slow down. With almost zero visibility and his entire head and body drenched, it was becoming harder and harder to properly drive his motorcycle. But, trusting his instincts that his apartment was close, Shawn voted to keep driving.

But with such harsh weather conditions, Shawn didn't see the truck barreling towards him, completely unaware that they were on the wrong side of the road. He choked down a scream and veered sharply off the road, narrowly dodging the truck and causing his bike to lose control. The next thing he knew, he was catapulting off his motorcycle and skidding across the muddy embankment with only seconds to put his arms up to protect his exposed head. Shawn didn't dare open his eyes, until he came to a complete stop. By that time, the truck was long gone.

The scraped up observer slowly struggled to his feet, doing his best to his keep his balance after several failed attempts at getting up in the mud. He couldn't tell if the reason he couldn't see straight ahead was because of the rain or the crash.

Without thinking, Shawn staggered back on to the road, doing his best to figure what he was supposed to do now but was feeling too dizzy to actually try anything other than stumbling around. Eventually, he turned back off the road and blindly searched for his motorcycle, or whatever was left of it. But instead of finding it, he only stumbled into an open field a good ways from both the road and his bike.

Thunder rolled overhead, and the smell of ozone filled his nose. His mouth was filled with a weird metallic taste that he just assumed was an aftereffect of the accident.

But then the hairs on the back of his neck stood up, and he knew something was wrong. Having the distinct urge to look up, Shawn craned his neck to squint up at the blackening sky. What he didn't realize, was that when he did so, lightning struck, and everything went out in a flash of white.