chapter 41

EVERY LIKE, VOTE, AND COMMENT HELPS!

.....

Li Jun's chest was still heaving in anger as he spat, "It sounds like you're inhibiting Li Xiang's career because you're jealous that people may see he's actually better than you!"

No, I'm inhibiting his career because he's incompetent. Further to that, he was recently accused of sexual assault..."

"He was cleared of the charges!" Li Jun interrupted with a snarl.

Li Jun whirled around to point an accusing finger at the quiet figures on the couch. "I see what's happening here. Song Junhui, the man that 'supposedly' witnessed the assault is here cozied up in your office? Is this how you treat family, Li Qian?"

It was too soon to tip his hand, but Li Qian wished he could lay out all his evidence on the table right then and there. Instead, he laughed and said, "Family values are wonderful, but they can't replace competence, dedication, and the ability to contribute to society positively. If Li Xiang can keep his name out of the news and do something right, maybe we can talk again."

Li Jun huffed, saying, "You used to respect tradition and family honor. There was a time when you idolized your older cousin."

"Times have changed, Uncle. The Li Group prioritizes talent and loyalty above nepotism. You'd do well to remember that. If you'll excuse me, I have matters to attend to that require my attention."

"I won't forget this, Li Qian," Li Jun grumbled with a scowl.

"I wouldn't expect you to. Have a pleasant day, Uncle."

As Li Jun exited, the tension in the room was still palpable. He lowered his head into his hands and sat quietly at the desk. The two melon eaters on the couch looked at each other in awe. Li Qian was such a boss! Jiao Jiao noticed that she had huddled a little too close to Song Junhui's protective aura, so she slipped away and started gathering her papers.

As though the small sounds broke Li Qian's mood, he raised his head with a sigh. "I guess I'm not getting anything else done here then. Jiao Jiao, you're ready?"

She hoisted her backpack on her shoulder and gave a quick nod. The three of them exited the building to find Chen Fan waiting at the curb with the car door open.

Li Qian turned to Song Junhui. "We're just going to my apartment for her tutoring. Did you want to come, and we can have a meal together?"

Song Junhui glanced between the two of them and smiled. "No, I've got an appointment. I'll see you later?"

He left with a wave, and as Li Qian led Jiao Jiao to the car, he muttered, "Now he's got an appointment? Been in my office all day, and now he suddenly has somewhere to be?"

Once Chen Fan let them off at the curb outside Li Qian's apartment, Jiao Jiao followed him silently into an opulent lobby. They rode the elevator together to the penthouse floor and entered a minimally decorated apartment overlooking downtown Shanghai.

Dark, masculine tones dominated the color palette, creating a neutral backdrop that allowed the city's vibrant energy to take center stage. Jiao Jiao's eyes traveled along the sleek, contemporary furniture carefully placed throughout the large open living area. Plush sofas and armchairs were arranged around a low, polished coffee table. Set in the middle was a gorgeously crafted vase, tall and slender with a fluted lip. A vibrantly painted phoenix and dragon gamboled along the surface, and Jiao Jiao startled in recognition.

"Oh!" She pitter-patted over to the table in excitement. "This is my piece. I didn't know you bought anything at the show!"

This was the first time in ages that Jiao Jiao had looked at him so expressively, and Li Qian's mood lifted.

"You wouldn't believe how difficult it was to get my hands on this piece. I initially wanted the Doraemon, but it had already been sold."

She turned her head to continue exploring when her eyes settled on a wrapped parcel leaning against the wall.

"That's from your birthday," she said. "Why haven't you unwrapped it yet?"

The look Li Qian gave her made her squirm uncomfortably. She fluttered her fingers along the edge of her skirt and shifted on her feet.

Always patient and observing of his little flower, Li Qian pushed a little. "It didn't feel right to open it without you. Now that you're here, I'll open it?"

He pulled the painting away from the wall and started to rip the paper, but Jiao Jiao ran to his side to stop him. She imagined his awkward reaction when he saw she'd painted herself into the picture and frantically tried to pull his hands away.