chapter 33

EVERY LIKE, VOTE, AND COMMENT HELPS!

.....

The room was silent for a moment, and she finally relented and looked up at him.

"Don't you have something to say to me?" Li Qian quirked a brow and slid a hand into his pocket expectantly.

Jiao Jiao flushed and rushed to say, "Happy birthday, Brother Qian!"

He walked to stand in front of the painting she was hiding behind, and the closer he came, the faster her heart thrummed.

"What's this?"

"It's your birthday present, but you can't open it now, you have to wait until later!" Jiao Jiao tipped the package towards him, but he didn't move to take it.

"Hmm?" She tipped it a little closer to him, but still, he didn't move. Finally, he pulled his hand out of his pocket and, along with it, a beautiful little box.

He held it out to Jiao Jiao, and as she took it from him, the question was evident in her eyes.

"You deserve a little something too, don't you? After all, you placed second in the rankings this time."

Jiao Jiao nodded her head shyly and slowly lifted the lid. A gorgeously delicate rose gold bracelet appeared. An intricately sculpted plum blossom was cradled in the middle of the delicate chain links. Glinting in the center of the bloom was a sparkling pink crystal.

'How coincidental,' she thought, picturing his reaction when he opened his present. She raised her eyes innocently to Li Qian and held the box out so he could help her put it on. The pair headed out with the bracelet secured and the painting in Li Qian's arms.

As they walked downstairs, he couldn't help but steal occasional glances at her. He slid the package into the back seat and helped her into the passenger side. Once he was settled, he looked over at her sweet little face.

"Thank you for the present, Jiao Jiao. It's been a long time since I received anything besides a red packet for my birthday. And also," he waited until she glanced at him, "you look beautiful tonight. You're going to steal the show."

She pulled her glossy lips together in pleasure at his words, and Li Qian gripped the steering wheel tight to keep from reaching across the seat to her.

The party was already in full swing when they walked into the private room at Jade Dynasty Lounge. Yuan Ming and the other guys were gathered around the large marble table in the center of the room, handing out drinks to the crowd.

"At last, the man of the hour arrives!" exclaimed Yuan Ming, his voice carrying over the cheerful chatter. He deftly poured a glass of wine and presented it to Li Qian with a bow, his eyes twinkling in delight.

Off to the side on a plush couch adorned with silk cushions, Ling Xue was diligently saving a spot. Her eyes lit up when Li Qian walked in, and she called eagerly, "Over here, A'Qian!"

Li Qian didn't even look over at Ling Xue but instead turned to the petite figure by his side. Ling Xue hadn't even noticed Jiao Jiao enter. She'd been so focused on Li Qian, and her eyes bugged at the muffled laughter that sounded here and there throughout the room at his slight. Many in attendance secretly thought it was well deserved, as Ling Xue had been bragging all night about hosting Li Qian's party and guarding his seat jealously.

While Ling Xue struggled to save her face, the figure by Li Qian's side caught everyone's attention. Murmurs of surprise and curiosity spread through the room like wildfire, mingling with the aroma of the delectable snacks on the sideboard.

Wasn't Li Qian famous for not getting close to women? He had to be at least an arm's length away at all times, and yet this little fairy in blue was practically holding on to his arm!

Totally unphased, Yuan Ming sauntered over to Jiao Jiao and offered her a glass of wine.

Li Qian shoved a hand in his face and said, "No way, A'Ming. She's still a minor."

A minor! Another surge of shock ran through the crowd.