Chapter Six: For Scotland

I was sitting with Mary and her ladies in waiting, sitting together in the grass laughing.

"All right, Kenna. It's your turn. Not your first, but your best kisser."

"It was a man, not a boy."

"Who? You must tell us."

"All I'll say is that there is no point in waiting for boys our own age who have no idea what they're doing. Either find yourself a man or... take care of your needs yourself."

The girls giggle,Mary blushes, and I out right laugh at her.

"Anyway, I think it's Greer's turn, isn't it?"

Greer was a little red at that because I knew she had not yet.

"My first kiss... is in the very near future. I'm not like you. My family's not titled. I can't afford even little mistakes. But... I think I've found a man. He's tall, dark, and noble. Tomás, the son of the King of Portugal. He's here negotiating some kind of trade deal, but he's taking his time about it, and I think it's to stay with me."

"Greer, it's dangerous to get involved with a prince. You know they marry for alliances. Your family are commoners."

"Tomás is a king's bastard like Bash. Favoured, too, but with money and land. I'm not a fool. I know a true royal would never look at me except to ruin me. I can take care of myself."

"What of you, Elspeth....who was your first kiss?"

I smirked at Kenna with a chuckled.

"Bash"

That made all the girls look at me in shock, but I just drank with tea with a smile on my face. But before they could say anything, a servant runs towards us.

"Your Majesty, your uncle, Claude de Guise, is here and wishes to see you at once."

I saw Mary leave then one of my people came up to me and offered me a letter, I saw it and was livid. I was lucky my men held them off, but it seems I had to send a message.

*Later That Day in the throne room*

Mary walks into the throne room where Henry is talking with Francis and his counsel. King Henry sees her and nods

"Mary."

Henry nods, and the men disperse out of the room.

"We've been... discussing this business in Scotland. You have my sympathy."

"Father, I believe Her Majesty is here for more than just sympathy."

"Of course. We're sending wagons, gunpowder, supplies for your army..."

"Supplies are useless without men. Surely you can spare a few. You have so many more soldiers than we do."

"And... many more borders as well. Why don't you ask your cousin to send more?"

Henry starts walking away and turns around to Mary, who seems to ignore his comment about his cousin.

"You only have to worry about England. I have England, Spain, a hundred Italian and German principalities..."

"You are supposed to be our ally. If our positions were reversed, Scotland would help."

Henry sighed as he was in a difficult position.

"Mary, I'm sorry."

"Eight companies."