Part III. Jisung

All readers are advised to read the description of this book for the trigger warnings that will be written throughout. Please do not read further if gore, character death, and dystopian/apocalyptic themes are sensitive to you.

▸⸺⸺⸺⸺◢✥◣⸺⸺⸺⸺◂

▸⸺⸺⸺⸺◢✥◣⸺⸺⸺⸺◂

"Jisung."

His voice was persistent amongst the cries and yells sinking deeper into the walls of the apartment complex, completely rattling Jisung's brain with every wail and scream for help. Beyond his closed bedroom door lay a terror of activities with blood-splattered walls and stained carpet, riddled with corpses and reanimated versions of people he used to know.

He's sitting on the floor, knees hugged to his chest, eyes wide and staring at the floor, unaware of how flooded his face had been with drowning tears and a reddened gaze, mind completely numb as he lets himself fall deeper and deeper. He was free falling, unaware of his own surroundings, allowing the noise to succumb to peace as he aches for silence, allowing memories of what he used to have to present itself ahead of him. He was coherently aware to realize that he was mildly disassociating, but he couldn't find it within himself to snap out of it.

"Jisung."

There the voice was again. God, love him, but the boy was annoyingly persistent. Jisung just wanted silence, and if he had to isolate himself and make his mind grow numb, then so be it. The louder the outside world was, the more he wanted to sink in on himself, trying to stow away all of his dormant fears of succumbing to a virus no one understood. He didn't want to die, let alone be the reason someone else had died.

He had forced his roommate, Jeongin, out of the apartment hours ago, claiming that he didn't want to be the reason for his injuries or illness, shoving him out of the apartment with food and anything else he might've needed, encouraging him to run across the street towards their friend's apartment.

Yeah, admittedly, it wasn't his best idea. He knew the risks of it all, but he had thoroughly searched for any signs of decomposed life within the halls and stairwell before pushing Jeongin to leave him alone, making sure he crossed the street successfully before relishing in the fact that he had made it to Seungmin and Minho's apartment.

The distance was all he sought after. He wanted to isolate and to be alone, allowing himself to melt away from the stress and worries associated with falling into a world-ending apocalypse. He watched enough horror movies to prepare himself for this very moment, but even still, who the fuck could prepare for something like this? No one ever wants to imagine the world falling into a state of decay so easily, completely rundown and collapsing beneath their feet, succumbing to every evil ache the crisis had to offer.

Jisung, in this instance, couldn't decide on how to react. So, he allowed his anxiety to completely overtake him, removing himself from the situation presently, stuck in a haze of security and confusion as he lingered in his subconscious for a moment longer.