Chapter 13: Dispelling Poison

Muyun Pan's sidekick, Four-faced Shadow, walked steadily to where Muyun pan was seated, her face cold as steel. Muyun Pan cushioned on the exclusive seat on the dais in his private parlor, cleaning with a clean wiper a dangerous-looking dagger that seemed to whisper secrets of bloodshed. The cold glow of the dagger highlighted his ghastly silhouette, creating quite a frightening sight.

Four-faced Shadow stopped in front of the dignitary, cupping her fists.

"My Lord, as per the investigation conducted by our men, Xu Cong's chances of being alive are slim. It's most likely that he was killed along with the massacre in Guangxi County," she informed, her voice potently zealous.

Muyun Pan suspended his action. The news did not please him. His face grew eerily cold as icy jade, making him look like a denizen of hell.

According to Old Five's confession, after receiving the letter of reinforcement from Guangxi County, he was instructed to delay the arrival, and the only person capable of issuing such a command was none other that Xu Cong, Yu outpost's commander. Xu Cong obviously played a part in the massacre. Therefore, it made no sense whatsoever why he would be killed by his bloodthirsty associates.

From the look of it, Xu Cong faked his death while receiving protection from a formidable authority.

Muyun Pan clutched tightly the dagger in his gloved hand. Four-faced Shadow noticed his gruesome body language and offered placation.

"My Lord, we can keep on investigating. There have to be a loophole somewhere."

Muyun Pan shook his head and said coldly, "that bastard is well protected. We won't find anything if we keep on investigating. Instead, it will only cause a stir and attract unsolicited attention."

"Roger. My Lord, shall we kill the herald or still keep him alive?"

"Speaking of which, Old Five was spared while the Xu Cong was killed in the battle in Guangxi County. It's fishy if you think of it. Old Five was involved in the conspiracy. He was spared so that he could spread the rumour of Xu Cong's "death". Whether we keep him or not makes no difference. Let's consider him as a variable," Muyun Pan said.

"Roger."

Muyun Pan stared at his cold-glinting dagger and said with a hint of thrill, "it seems we can't get to the bottom of this until we know a thing about 44-Abyss Pavilion."

Having met a dead end, he hoped for Young Master Xiao to do his part.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feng Xiao narrowed his eyes at a youthful man standing cross-armed in the corner of a pavilion. He was disabled. A length of black silk was wound around his eyes, and his appearance alone spoke of smartness and agility.

Earlier, a servant had informed him he had a visitor. He had no hunch about it, and seeing the disabled man set in an undercurrent of extra curiosity. He carried his feet towards the pavilion without second thoughts.

The man stood stock still like a mountain, his features boundlessly cold.

"You're here," he said curtly.

Feng Xiao stared him out without uttering a word.

"Stop staring at me like that," the man demanded.

Feng Xiao's eyes twinkled. "Can you see me?"

"No."

"Then how did you...."

"Sit down."

Feng Xiao gulped and sat down on the slab. The man imitated, then served Feng Xiao tea from the whistling kettle after which he served himself.