Chapter 12: The Divine Effect

The Feng Family's Library

"What?! Does he want to learn martial arts?" Feng Gao rubbed his chin worriedly upon hearing the bombshell of a news. He'd rather believe a fish could drown in water than entertain the idea that his stepson would ever show interest in martial arts.

The bizarre manifestations of Feng Xiao had been prickling him, and he found a possible reason for it; the Divine Effect. However, very few knew of the concept. At first, he was skeptical about it because it was an extremely rare occurrence.

The news that Feng Xiao went weapon shopping just reached Feng Gao. It took him a good while to digest the scenario.

Di Puyang, who reported the news, failed to provide a concrete explanation. The two men wore the same ugly expressions as they sat apart Feng Gao's reading desk.

Incredibly, the only postulation from Feng Xiao's weapon shopping was that he would soon be wielding a weapon. But Feng Xiao was already too old to practice martial arts. What was this bizarre development all about?

Di Puyang leaned closer, "could this be the Divine Effect?" His voice was unusually small, suggesting that he was even afraid of his speech.

The legend said that once every 300 years, the soul of a highly intelligent being from an advanced age would settle into the body of a host in this age. For example, Clogan Jun, a man of both Western and Eastern descent, who was also known to be the patriarch of this anomalous occurrence. He named it the Divine Effect after testifying to its authenticity thousands of years ago.

However, the concept of divine effect was known by only a select few, and Feng Gao and Di Puyang happened to be among the minority. What further enhanced the secrecy of the esoteric concept was the few obscure records that were left behind.

These beings were absolute geniuses in pen, wisdom, swords, and combative strength. Like the patriarch, Clogan Jun, who was a talented swordsman and general of the ancient Kingdom of Usgurd believed to have preceded Imperial China. There were also tales of prominent scholars who outperformed their colleagues in the field, such as Scholar Helsberg from Western Europe, who died 600 years ago.

Simply put, these beings were incredible fast learners after transmigration. They were regarded as divine beings in this world.

Therefore, Feng Xiao had to be a descendant of Clogan Jun. What was puzzling was that he had no immediate precursor, prompting those in the know to think that the Divine Effect had come to an end.

The mind boggling question was; why did the successor of the last divine being show up 600 hundred years later?

No answer.

The two men contemplated and finally brought themselves to acknowledge the resurgence of the Divine Effect.

"If he wants to learn martial arts, then we should get him a teacher," Feng Gao said after reconciling himself to the fact.

"He's a fast learner already by nature. Finding him a martial arts teacher doesn't sound insane," Di Puyang consented. "You know the best person for the job," he said.

They both shared a glance and saw they had similar thoughts.

Feng Gao sighed and picked up a bamboo slip. "That's out of question. He'll decline."

"That's not certain. He's indebted to the Noble Lady. Perhaps, that's why he's been lurking around Feng Manor."

Feng Gao stared at the unfurled slip in his hand, but his mind was faraway. After a while, he put the slip away.

"If he finds out that her child has been colonised by a divine being, then what next? That child is no longer her flesh and blood. He's a freaking god from some era that we know almost nothing about."