Chapter 19 - A break

Carmen

"Ian, Steven has something to share with us. Join me?" I passed quickly to the bathroom, dropping my clothes inside the door before hopping directly into the shower. I know that guys expect me to take forever, but they haven't had to deal with the kids' intrusions. I've learned to get it under five minutes and still be clean.

I heard Ian enter the shower as the chilly water took my breath away. He leaned against the glass to talk to me. "Any idea what's up?"

"No, but he and Aidan seemed to think it was really important we talk soon without the kids present. Will you grab me an outfit while I wash this muck out of my hair?" I saw him move away but he still spoke.

"Think Aidan heard anything about the case? What type of underwear do you want?" Ian laughed. "Or do you want to go commando?"

"Geez, throw me to the wolves why don't you? Just get me a matching set. And I do think Aidan heard something. He got a rather intense string of messages and he wasn't too happy about it. That's about the same time Steven got here. Maybe we'll get some good news for once?"

"Undies on the counter. Sweats or shorts and tshirt?"

"Thanks. Jean shorts and a t-shirt. Grab a hoodie for me too?"

"Sure. You need another towel?" He returned as I finished and turned off the stream. I gathered my hair and squeezed the excess water. Ian handed me a smaller towel anyway and after I wrapped it up my hair in a turban so I could dry the rest of my body. I tugged my panties up, struggling a bit against the still damp skin. Standing behind me, he held my bra in front of me as I stood facing the mirror. He leaned forward and kissed my neck as I lifted my breasts into my over the shoulder boulder holder.

He fastened my bra while I slid my t-shirt on. Holding my shorts out, I stepped into them resting my hands on his forearms as he wriggled them over my thighs and ass. Doing a quick shimmy to get the seams where they needed to be, I pulled up my zipper with a quick hiss and buttoned the top. Running my finger through my hair, I pulled the t-shirt overhead and let it slip down. Ian tugged the hem down over my boobs before kissing my cheek.

Slipping on my flip-flops I grabbed my hoodie and turned off the light as we ran down the stairs before making our way to the fire ring.

Marty

"What the hell is going on here?" I looked at the faces of the men I've known most of my life, with the exception of Taylor and Evan. "How can it feel like she's never been away from us and yet I feel like I have no idea who Carmen is? It's voodoo."

Tim laughed the first. "It does feel surreal. I even feel like I've known Ian forever and their kids, too. Those little ones are something else."

"Whose idea was it to take them snipe hunting? That Bianca is just like her momma, a temper to be wary of." Aidan commented. Nic pointed his fingers at Riley. "You realize you set yourself up for another night of it tomorrow right?"

The men chuckled good-naturedly as Riley nodded. "Tell me you didn't enjoy it. Ok, I've gotta ask. Did Carmen unfreeze anyone else?" His voice dropped as if hesitating to do so.

A few murmurs of acknowledgement reached him, but no one elaborated. A few moments passed in silent contemplation. "Do you think she would seriously go through with it?" Aidan was the first to broach the subject they had been avoiding since before dinner.

Taylor looked around quizzically at the men. "Would Carmen go through with what?" Paul shrugged in confusion. "Evan, what's going on?"

Evan sat back, stretching his long legs out towards the fire ring, his hands clasped behind his head. "I'm not sure I'm at liberty to divulge what I know. You know Carmen's tight-lipped about some things, but when she's ready, she'll talk or do. I've found it easier to just listen and let her make the calls on her own terms. But if it's what I think you're asking, just talk to her. The worst she'll say is she's not ready to discuss it."