Chapter 1: The Reaping

In the soft secret valleys of District 1 I rested my eyes dreaming of an escape. It was reaping day, the most favorable or dreadful day of the year, depending on who you are and where you came from. The dark blue morning sky dressed itself in an inglorious overcast and the wild grass and trees stood still like the calm before a storm, though I was already living in a violent terrain of life. Departing myself from my sacred place only known to me I made my way back to the Victors' Village before the morning could progress. I walked into my house seeing my stylist Lennon.

"And where have you been Blaire? The reaping is today and you look like you haven't seen a goodnight's rest in centuries!" Lennon exclaimed. 

"I know, I know, I just got carried away. Besides it's not like you don't know how to doll me up for The Capitol" This years games were different, it is the third quarter quel, and tributes were to be previous victors.

Lennon tightened my corset as secure as it could be making me gasp for air. "Relax would you? I know you're stressing but Blaire you're a District 1 Victor, you've got less of a chance than anyone else for your name to be drawn, and if you happen to get an unlucky hand you've won the Hunger Games single-handedly before and will do it yet again" Lennon expressed applying ridiculous caption fashioned makeup to my olive toned skin.

"It's not fair Lennon it's not fair, I was promised a life of peace if I won those games and now they're throwing me back into that hell ridden arena like my victory meant nothing" I had won the 67th games when I was just 12 years old. I was the youngest victor ever making me a threat to most people especially being a career. I hated those games, they were brutal and unfair. Most people wouldn't ever expect a District 1 Victor to despise the games especially as much as I did, when my district is known for their luxury and capitol loyalism.

The reaping had just begun as Effie strut the stage in one of her usual over the top capitol designs. She always put on a positive attitude while masking her grief.

"Ladies and gentlemen welcome to the annual reaping. As you may know this year's selection will be different from years past being the 3rd quarter quel! I'll be selecting 2 previous victors, 1 boy and 1 girl. As usual ladies first" Effie made her way over to the oversized bowl of names, as she reached her hand in chills raced down my spine. "Blaire Woods" the crowd cheered but my world had stopped spinning. Tears slipped out of my hazel eyes as cameras flashed and zoomed in on my current state. "Now for the boys, Trip Harrington!" It was a miracle that Trip even won his games to begin with as he was dumbfounded and weaker than any careers in Panem, to feel sorry for him would be an understatement. "District 1 yours tributes" Effie said as Trip and I joined hands taking an uncomfortable bow. "And may the odds be ever in your favor" Effie announced to the crowd like nothing horrible was going to happen to us and all the other tributes.

After hours of spiraling my thoughts on the speed train to the capitol we had arrived. Being the first to get reaped I didn't know the other tributes yet, and that was just what I was going to find out. I made my way off the train with Lennon, Trip and our mentor Avon. As soon as we walked into the Tribute Hall Lennon was dragging me into his styling suite.

"Because this is the Quarter Quel I'm going to dress you in something more dramatic and fashionable than you've ever seen before, something that'll really get you all the sponsors you need and plenty more."
As Lennon dressed me for what seemed like hours I was finally ready to hit the floor. My dress was beautiful it truly was. It accentuated every curve on my feminine figure and captured my true femininity. The dress was white with light pink accents and decorated with gold roses and diamonds, I was given big beautiful Angel wings to represent my purity, some stupid capitol moral I could never understand. When we paraded into the hall I checked out all the other victors waiting for their turn to ride in their designated chariot to snow. Avon explained to us who each and everyone was.
"District 3, Wiress and Beetee, extremely smart, you need to become allys with them especially Beetee. District 12, god I hate these two but it's important you make a good impression on them as they will either be your winning or losing ticket depending on how you impress them, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark, but I'm sure you two already know them." After a while of pointing out different victors and their statuses Avon pointed out one that I could only despise. " District 4, Finnick Odair. He's damn good with that triton and will be your best bet at survival Blaire." Finnick Odair, he won the 65th hunger games just two years before mine, two years before I stole his cherished title of youngest hunger games victor. Finnick was only 14 when he won his games, and I was only 12. I remember on the tour after I won he wouldn't talk to me not even glance at me. He was nothing but an egocentric cocky young man. There was absolutely no way in hell I'd ever ally myself with him. Never.

A/N hey i know this chapter wasn't the most interesting but I promise the book will be full of twists and turns and romance. This was just a needed introduction! -A