-Chapter 011-

Y/N'S POV:

''I'm so sorry, I'm late.'' Dustin apologizes as he bursts through the class door, panting. ''Please continue with the class.''

Dustin turns to us, and whispers. ''We have to meet, all of us, at lunch. Av club.''

''Why?'' Mike asks.

''I have something that you won't believe.'' Dustin says.

We all walked into the av room, as Dustin sets down his trap.

He opened his trap, and out came a sort of... slug.

Dustin introduces, ''His name is D'artagnan.''

I stare down at it in bewilderment and Dustin says, ''Dart for short.''

''And he was in your trash?'' Max asks for clarification.

''Foraging for food.'' Dustin replies to the redhead.

Dustin turns to Max, ''You wanna hold him?''

''He doesn't bite--'' Dustin tries to convince Max to hold his pet.

By the end of this, Dart lands with Mike, who doesn't flinch or anything.

''What is he?'' Mike asks.

''My question exactly.'' Dustin smiles.

Dustin gets a book out and lays in on the desk. ''At first, I thought it was some type of Pollywog.''

''What's a pollywog?'' Max asks.

''It's--'' Dustin began but I cut him off.

''A pollywog is another word for a tadpole.'' I explain.

Max slowly nods as she understood.

''you know that most tadpoles are aquatic, right?'' Dustin continues. ''Well, Dart isn't. He doesn't need water.''

''Yeah, but aren't there non aquatic pollywogs?'' Max asks.

''Terrestrial pollywog?'' Dustin responded. ''Yep. Two to be exact. One's from india, one's from south america. So how did one end up in my trash?''

''Maybe some scientists brought it here and it escaped?'' Max asked.

''Do you guys see that?'' Mike pointed out. ''It looks like something is moving inside of it.''

We all lower down to Dart's level, and curiously watch him.

Mike shined a light on the creature, causing it to screech. We all step back in surprise.

''And here's another thing. Reptiles, they're cold blooded. Ectothermic, right? They love the sun. Dart hates it. It hurts him.'' Dustin continues, as we take a moment to process what this all could mean.

''So if he's not a pollywog, or a reptile...'' Lucas started.

''Then I've discovered a new species.'' Dustin finishes the sentence.

The bell rung, and all of us race out the av room, and into the halls.

''We've gotta show this to Mr. Clarke.'' Lucas says, and Dustin turns to him.

''What if he steals my discovery?'' Dustin asks.

''He's not gonna steal your discovery.'' Mike assures him.

We race into the classroom in a panic.

''Stop!'' Mike yells, as he grabs the trap with Dart in it.

''What are you doing?'' Dustin asks.

''I'm really sorry, Mr. Clarke, it was just a stupid prank.'' Mike says quickly.

''Our bad!'' I add.

''Mike!'' Dustin called.