Chapter 27

Davis stopped at the front of a fast food to get something for Chiamaka, but she remained mute and showed lack of interest. The fast food was not far from where he lived. So without asking what Chiamaka wanted, he left her in the car and entered the fast food to get her spaghetti with fried chicken.

“Here! You must be hungry!” Davis said as he handed the nylon which contained the food to Chiamaka.

Still mute, she collected it from him and dropped it beside her. Her eyes looked puffed and all red. He wished he could take all her pains away and make her happy like he used to. He hated to see her hurt and wished life was a bit fair with them.

Davis drove home and kept trying to cheer Chiamaka. She refused to eat the food he bought for her, and so he did not bother, but cuddled her all through the night, just to ensure she did not harm herself or feel unloved.

*                    *                       *

It was some minutes past eight in the night when Mrs. Lizzy returned home from work. John opened the gate, and she drove in, in her SUV.

“Mummy, mummy!”

David and Judith approached their mother's car with excitement, as she parked.

Mrs. Lizzy opened the door and then children ran to welcome her, “David, here you go! Hold it for me!” She handled two nylons to him. He opened it a little and smiled at what he saw.

“Good evening, mum!” The children greeted and David whispered to Judith what he saw in the nylons.

“How are you today?” Mrs. Lizzy asked, as they all approached the entrance. Then John called out to her.

“Madam, abeg wait, no vex!” John said and walked faster.

“And John, what is the problem?” Mrs. Lizzy asked as she turned to face him.

“E get something I wan tell you!” John said and cleaned his mouth because he felt the garri he was drinking, stained his mouth.

“John, talk!” Mrs. Lizzy, so curious to know what might be the issue, ordered!

“Nah just say, e get one man like that way come today. I never see him face before for my life. E say na una friend, like you and oga friend, say since una no dey house, he go come back on Sunday.” John stated, and Mrs. Lizzy began to wonder who it might be.

David, who felt his mother had not heard it all, added his, “Not all true! They were, actually, two of them. The lady with him suddenly left, she was acting weird though and was rubbing her eyes like something entered them. After she left, the man with her then asked for you and dad.” David corrected John and Mrs. Lizzy turned angrily to John.

“And how did he know so much of this scene that happened at the gate, and you don't come out?” Mrs. Lizzy asked, and John swallowed his saliva. It was liquid but felt like solid in his throat.

“See eh, madam, no be wetin you dey think oh, the thing be say, I been commot to go find something I go chop and as I dey near house, nah I come see David dey talk with the young man. I come run, tell David to enter house. Me nah, come stay dey talk with the man, but I no know say woman abi nah lady, follow am. E go be say before I come, she don already commot. Abeg madam, e no go happen again. Abeg, no vex for me! Nah this work I take dey feed my mama for village.” He pleaded.

“Next time this repeats itself, kiss your job good bye, nonsense” Mrs. Lizzy said to John and then turned to David, “And I never want to see you at the gate all by yourself or even get to hear. The street is dangerous and full of bad people. Since your father is rich, they will want to kidnap you and you know you are our only son, please be careful, okay?” Mrs. Lizzy warned and David nodded.

When they were almost at the door, Mrs. Lizzy called John back, “John!”

“Yes madam!” John answered and ran as fast as his body could carry. He feared his job was at stalk.

“Did you get their names?” Mrs. Lizzy asked, and John shook his head in disappointment. He really acted like a fool!

“No madam, no vex! But he said, he will be back on Sunday that he wanted to surprise!” John said.

“But do you not think they are arm robbers?” Mrs. Lizzy asked and John's eyes, widened.

“Emmmmmm, madam! You fit don talk true oh!” John said, scratching his bale head.

“Did you even ask him any questions relating to his identity and that of the woman who followed him?” Mrs. Lizzy looked at John with disappointment.

“No, madam but…” Mrs. Lizzy interrupted John in a harsh tone.

“Get out of my side, you brainless idiotic being. Can you imagine?” Mrs. Lizzy cursed John and ushered the children inside. 

To be continued...
Do you think David felt the mother and son bound?
Please, feel free to message and tell me what you think. Also, don't forget to vote, comment and keep reading. Thanks.

Love you all. 😊