Chapter 24: 57th Recon Mission Pt. 1

In a month, the recruits had become acclimated to their new lives as scouts. It had been a long time since the last expedition, but luckily Erwin was planning a recon mission so they could get more experience on the battlefield. I said nothing of my off-record orders to snoop around and sniff out the traitors, which was hard to do. Ever since I first received these orders, I spent most of my time analyzing each of the recruits and looking for anything that seemed out of place. I continued to come up empty-handed each time I made a report. It was tiring necessary work. If the Colossal and Armored Titans were among us then it was my duty to sniff them out and cut them down.

They had been the cause of so much loss and pain not just for me but for everyone who once lived in Wall Maria. Even if some people weren't directly affected, they were victims. At first, it had just been about revenge but after I learned what I did, it became a fight to protect humanity. My main goals were still self-centered, but I didn't only think about them. I had responsibilities that went beyond that of a typical grunt in the military and that meant I would have to put my desires on hold now and then. I told myself this almost daily so I wouldn't forget. It was important to repeat the purpose we vowed to undertake when we enlisted, which was to take the fight to the Titans and claim victory for humanity. We were up and ready for the expedition before the sun was up. That just went to show how organized Commander Erwin's planning was and how seriously the Scouts under his command took it. For me, this was just another expedition but for everyone that had enlisted a month ago, it was to be the first of many. We sat atop our horses in formation waiting for the commander to signal the gates to open. I glanced around at the crowd which had gathered to see us off. Among the people present, I spotted several kids gazing at us with excited faces. Some of them were even talking about how cool we looked.

???: Check it out, it's Sergeant Yeager. He's the one that can turn into a Titan!

??? 2: So cool!

I smiled and sent a little wave their way, making a pair of happy smiles appear on their faces. They reminded me of the way I had been so long ago.

Petra: What's got you in such a good mood?

Y/n: Those kids remind me of how I used to act whenever the scouts would return from a mission. I envied you guys for so long and now I'm one of you. It's been over a year and I still can't believe it.

Eld: Feels good doesn't it? Knowing we still have support?

Y/n: Damn straight.

I focused my attention on the massive stone gate in front of me. It had been a long while since my last expedition and I was eager to get back out there and do what I did best, pile up the smoldering corpses of Titans.

Erwin: OPEN THE GATE!

The response to his order was a grating sound as the Garrison soldiers inside the gatehouse began turning the crank to raise the gate. There were soldiers stationed by the entrance just in case a rogue Titan managed to get through that were ready to fight so the civilians were safe. Once the gate was fully raised and the steel teeth on the bottom were visible, the Commander shouted the words I had longed to hear once more.

Erwin: THE 57TH RECON MISSION BEGINS NOW! ADVANCE!

With that one order, every single one of us snapped the reins of our horses and charged through the gate into enemy territory. Once we were out and in Titan territory, the gate would close. It never stayed open any longer than it had to, or else Titans could break through. I reveled in the feeling I got when the wind blew through my hair as I sped across the open landscape. It felt like I was free.

(3rd pov)

The Scouts sped out from the safety of Kalaneth district and spotted a Titan almost immediately. Hange and her squad departed to take it out while the main force pressed on. Sasha froze as the Titan attempted to squash the Scouts fighting it.