Chapter 25: The Female Titan

Armin(shocked): Why... didn't it kill me? It pulled back my hood...why would it need-

Reiner: ARMIN!!!

Armin spotted Reiner as he rode up with a spare horse in tow. Coming to a stop, Reiner offered the reins of the other horse to Armin.

Reiner: What the hell were you doing? You can't be without a horse. Take this one and let's go.

Armin: Right.

Once he was on the horse, Armin and Reiner took off in the direction the Titan had headed. It didn't take long before they'd caught up with it.

Reiner: I came as fast as possible when I saw the black smoke. What's the deal with that Abnormal?

Armin: It's not an Abnormal, it's like Y/n.

Reiner: Wait, you're telling me someone is inside that thing?

Armin: I think so. It killed Ness and then came after me. The only reason I'm not dead is what I find odd about all this.

Reiner: What happened?

Armin: It checked beneath my hood as if expecting me to be someone else. My best guess is that it was looking for Y/n.

Reiner: Wait, what? Why?

Armin: I don't know, but we have to warn the others right away.

Reaching into the bag of flare canisters, Armin grabbed the one for emergencies, which was yellow.

Armin: Come on, work you piece of junk.

POP, FWOOSH!!!

Both scouts looked to the rear and saw Eren and Jean coming up close behind.

Reiner: Looks like they've got it covered.

POP, FWOOSH!!!

A barrage of yellow pillars appeared as Jean and Eren pulled up next to Armin and Reiner.

Eren: Glad you guys are all right. A Titan ambush wiped out the right-wing spotters so I feared the worst.

Jean: That means no one is on lookout duty. Talk about a setback. What should we do now?

Eren: Keep relaying the signal as long as possible and hope the formation sees it.

Armin: Hold on. Jean, what did you say?

Jean: The right-wing spotters were completely wiped out.

Armin gasped silently as if he'd figured something out.

Reiner: What is it?

Armin: That Titan, it came from the right wing. It can't be a coincidence that it came from there right as the spotters were wiped out.

Eren: What are you saying?

Armin: What if it led those other Titans here, like a leader or something?

Jean: That's ridiculous. No way a Titan is that smart. You've seen the way they act before and what you're describing just isn't in their roster of actions.

Eren: Is it though? Y/n said that when the Colossal appeared in Trost it knew that the cannons posed a threat and that alone shows some of them have intelligence to a certain degree. Also, there's something different about this one that none of the others have. It looks female.

Reiner: You're right. How could we not have seen that?

Armin: When you're fighting for your life, that would tend to be the last thing on your mind.